anu
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Has bestowed Karma : 4 times
Received Karma : 16 times

Mycelium to replace Styrofoam

Post by anu »

Shroom Boom

In college,Eben Bayer grew mushrooms in his closet-not for recreational purposes,but for
entreprenurial ones.Today ECOVATIVE,his three year old company,uses mycelium,or what Bayer calls "mushroom roots," to make a biodegradable, chemical-free product that could replace styrofoam. "Why use plastic for a few months when it lasts thousands of years?" he says.At ECOVATIVE's 9,000-square-foot facility in New York,mycelium is mixed with agricultural waste like rice husks,then put into a mold.A week or two later the product,called Ecocradle,is ready. It's inert and has the combined qualities of styrofoam and wood.When people receive a stereo or TV packaged in it,they can put the material in the compost bin
instead of the garbage.Bayer has plans for more products,and is working to make Ecovative a leader in sustainable materials, the way Dow and DuPont were leaders in synthetic ones."We
really should be emulating nature,"he explains,"Sustainable materials should fit into the recycling system thats been around for millions of years." Susan Cosier for Audubon
The notion of collective ownership implies a democratic approach to the utilization of resources - economic democracy.

anu
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman

Post by anu »

Franchise me please,i wanna grow shroom insulation and supply schroom peanuts for people that buy and sell on ebay

heres a link Bloke
http://www.ecovativedesign.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The notion of collective ownership implies a democratic approach to the utilization of resources - economic democracy.

Peace Pipe
Kosmic Karma
Kosmic Karma
Custom Title: Electroplasm
Received Karma : 5 times

Post by Peace Pipe »

Fungi are amazing.

I can see how we can be using it to replace disposable styrofoam products and packaging materials. Yet at the same time however, many products that are designed to last for ages on end still use styrofoam. I dunno how long under what conditions this fungi will last.
"Intergalactic mind traveling!" -me on acid

anu
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman

Post by anu »

the actions of a 85 year old woman got styrofoam outlawed on my island last year,the ferry delievering here can't have foam coffee cups on it either

a puff ball growing up under the edge of asphalt completely busted the shit out of it last spring
call the s-l-o-w demolition people

anu
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman

Post by anu »

Not only the Mycelium but Microbes know our every move.HELP THEM,their speaking your language,piss on them but shake it around,you don't like your drinks too,too strong.

· Share · 2 minutes ago · Write a comment.....
.OptionsWill Allen
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... p-science/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Microbes Beam Electrons to Each Other Via Mineral "Wires"
news.nationalgeographic.com
Bacteria can use minerals in soil as electrical grids, helping the microbes generate chemicals they need to survive, a new study says