Newbie because at my age I don't have a hook up lol

Shrooms and related goodies
Oldjoints

Post by Oldjoints »

Jesús Malverde wrote:Share what you find out, it's interesting.

And I still don't get how fungi that naturally grow in dung-filled pasture are so sensitive to "contamination". You'd think nothing would survive in the wild and its contamination *everywhere*.
When I was growing mushies I asked the same question. What I was told was that what you are sterilizing against is mainly bacteria, and to not think of sterilization like in an operating room but as a medium free of bacteria that will attack the mycelium.
I was told that most dung is actually fairly free of bad bacteria due to the process of digestion and the acids in that process.
Whether this is true or not I don’t know but at least made sense to me at the time.

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 2159 times
Received Karma : 1584 times

Post by ripper5 »

I'd say you have a good yield there Bob. That one cake should be about 4.5 grams dry. About a gram shy of a Hero's Dose, or 2 mild/average doses.
Seems that during inoculation is really the only time that the mycelium is extra sensitive to contaminates. Once it's fully colonized, it can withstand more. My contaminated jars all spoiled before full consolidation.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1317 times
Received Karma : 921 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

I would agree with both those posts^^^
...and add that some molds aren't removed because they are a danger to the mushrooms, they are removed because they are dangerous to work around.

I thought it looked like a pretty good bloom...just wasn't sure aboot the weight. Now I'm wondering if we'll have enough. Bro and I for sure...trying to convince sis-in-law to join us...nephew is already begging... and niece's BF could get included as well....plus there's an old family friend that bro needs to make up to, where the gift of trip may just be what the doctor ordered.:p

Oldjoints

Post by Oldjoints »

So you will go from doing a hero’s dose to actually being one.... :gadday:

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Post by Butcher Bob »

When I had those 6 gm, I wanted so bad to do them all in a hero dose. It was very hard to make the decision to share them with my bro instead. It really was Ripper's thread that tipped the scale...gave me hope that I could grow more on my own.:) Now things have worked out better than I could have ever expected. So I can't help but to want to spread the joy.

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 70 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Post by Jesús Malverde »

Joy is meaningless if you can't share it.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Post by Butcher Bob »

Bro gathered the other two cakes last night.
One of the Teachers tipped the cake over...:p...
Teacher.jpg
I think he said that one alone was 22 gm wet. :)

smokebreaks
The Big Cheese
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: High Society Stoner
Has bestowed Karma : 184 times
Received Karma : 338 times

Post by smokebreaks »

I’m coming to your place for thanksgiving Bob
GOVERNMENT WARNING: Marijuana use can cause complex thoughts leading to better ideas of how to live your life. Caution, free thinking has been routinely reported with continued use.

Lrus007
Advanced Grower
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: hash and oil maker
Has bestowed Karma : 1084 times
Received Karma : 1699 times

Post by Lrus007 »

no better way to speak to god.
bible.jpg
i could use a night of giggles
Lrus007
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Post by Butcher Bob »

We inoculated 18 jars at the same time. Because they were finishing up at different rates, we put them to bloom in three different batches, one week from batch to batch. The first batch we dunked all 6 cakes in one tub...and three ended up becoming contaminated in bloom. In the next batches we dunked each cake in it's own zip-lock, and we've not had any further contamination.

In the second batch, a Golden Teacher had a couple pins almost immediately that quickly grew massive, tipping the cake over like in the first batch...
Update1.jpg
After the 2nd dunk for the first batch, pinning is going pretty good...
Update2.jpg
The last batch was dunked & rolled this weekend. One of the cakes got a little impatient...
Update3.jpg
Update3.jpg (62.84 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
Things seem to be going pretty well. :)

We are doing a little experimenting with the blooming. The first two batches are being done in tubs with air pumps, and the 3rd batch is being done in a shotgun tub. I initially leaned toward the shotgun style, bro leaned toward the air pumps...so we decided to test how they compare.

Bro was also toying with the idea of doing a bed grow for the next crop. But I think he has settled on reducing the scale to meatloaf sized pan beds in the traditional bloom chamber.

I'm headed over after Thanksgiving to check in on everything...and then we're going to the lake house to do some testing. :tup: