I've Held My Tongue - Democrat Voters, You Did This...Afghanistan!

The arena for political discussions about current events
smokebreaks
The Big Cheese
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: High Society Stoner
Has bestowed Karma : 184 times
Received Karma : 341 times

Post by smokebreaks »

GOVERNMENT WARNING: Marijuana use can cause complex thoughts leading to better ideas of how to live your life. Caution, free thinking has been routinely reported with continued use.

roller24
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 331 times
Received Karma : 493 times

Post by roller24 »

circling back to Afghanistan.
Afghanistan’s economy has deteriorated in recent months and especially over the past two weeks after the Taliban terror group invaded Kabul and ousted the city’s U.S.-backed government, declaring itself Afghanistan’s sole, legitimate ruler. The shocking development prompted the U.S. to block the Taliban’s access to “virtually all of the Afghanistan central bank’s $9 billion (€7.66 billion) in reserves, most of which are held in the US,” the German broadcaster Deutsche Welle (DW) reported August 24. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) likewise suspended Afghanistan’s access to its funds. Both actions precipitated an acute shortage of U.S. dollars in Afghanistan.
likely this 9 billion will be the ransom for any remaining Americans.

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 71 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Post by Jesús Malverde »

The people flaming Biden—Republicans, Democrats, neocons of all stripes, war whores, islamophobes. R2P nutters, Clintonites, the supposedly left corporate media, all exist in a delusional neocon fantasy world where the occupation of Afghanistan was a success in progress that only failed through a lack of resolve and after 20 years just needed more time, cannon fodder, and treasure poured into it. The time to GTFO in Afghanistan was 15+ years ago. This is so obvious, a fencepost could've figured it out. Bush, Obama, Trump; Biden's the only one with the balls enough to face the truth and do what's right.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 2174 times
Received Karma : 1602 times

Post by ripper5 »

Spot on, Hax!
:volcano:

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by ripper5 »

"I want people to think about this for a minute:
Pentagon: U.S. can get up to 30 C-17 evacuation flights out of Afghanistan each day.
16,000 people evacuated in the last 24 hours, about 11,000 of those on military flights.
Have you ever seen a C-17? I know most of my fellow aviation nuts have, but for my friends/family who have not, that is a HUGE aircraft. Absolutely immense. And the USAF is cranking out a full C-17 flight from Kabul every 45 minutes, using a SINGLE runway in enemy-controlled territory, non stop, 24 hours a day right now. This has literally never been done before in the entire history of aviation... the USAF is literally making history. They evacuated more than twice as many people YESTERDAY as we did in the entirety of the Saigon evacuation in 1975.

Anyone who wants to pop off about this being a failure needs to shut their piehole unless it's to commend the incredibly hard working men and women of the US Air Force, and the ground forces supporting their mission. It started rough, no denying that, but in less than a week, the situation has been stabilized and the mission exponentially increased to a tempo never before seen, not even during WW2. The part that gets me is the logistics of supporting this mission - the ground crews are going full throttle right now, bringing in fuel, oil, fluids and servicing the aircraft as best and as fast as they can. What they are achieving right now is nothing short of incredible."
Attachments
FB_IMG_1630365286506.jpg

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 929 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

roller24 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:31 pm
S. Pacific v. Lowe, U.S. 247 F. 330. (1918).
Conner v. United States. 303 F. Supp. 1187 (1969)
Edwards v. Keith, 231 F. 110 (2nd Cir. 1916).

Check the major jump in filings beginning in 1940. The public jumped in out of patriotic obligation...

And you can't say that nothing is ever paid on the debt.
S. Pacific v. Lowe ---> questions whether corporate retained earnings are classified as income or capital
Conner v. United States ---> questions whether insurance expense reimbursement is classified as income
Edwards v. Keith ---> questions the timing of when income is earned
None of these cases is aboot whether income from wages is taxable.
Wherever you are getting this info is a shit source.

That jump in filings was not due to anyone's sense of patriotic obligation...it was due to a reduction in the threshold to be required to pay any income tax.

I most certainly can say we don't pay on the debt. If we did, debt would go down...and it hasn't gone down since 1957.
roller24 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:50 pm
...U.S. to block the Taliban’s access to “virtually all of the Afghanistan central bank’s $9 billion (€7.66 billion) in reserves, most of which are held in the US... The International Monetary Fund (IMF) likewise suspended Afghanistan’s access to its funds.
likely this 9 billion will be the ransom for any remaining Americans.
Is it really ransom to get back what has been stolen from you? US and UK have a nasty habit of stealing the monetary assets from countries whose leadership we don't like...so I'd say it is we who are holding the ransom.

ripper5 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:19 pm
Anyone who wants to pop off about this being a failure...
The failure is not that of the boots...it is the top of the chain. There are ultimately two people responsible for this...Commander in Chief Biden, who knew we had to leave, and Raytheon Secretary of Defence Austin, who doesn't want to leave.

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by ripper5 »

The failure is 20 years long Bob. Biden just ended it. Lol

ben ttech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: godisnotwhite.com
Has bestowed Karma : 399 times
Received Karma : 249 times

Post by ben ttech »

seeing as most all their fighters have had cell phones for a while now

im guessing that the taliban will roll out a far more moderate take on an islamic state

than they did 20 years ago...
"disaster is the mother of necessity" rSin

roller24
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 331 times
Received Karma : 493 times

Post by roller24 »

Bob, i'll concede on the argument that the threshold was lowered, but i'll stand by the fact that war propaganda, also had a significant role in additional compliance. I'll still argue that the U.S. has been paying on the Debt. Just because the balance due increases, does not prove that no payments were submitted. Deficit spending has caused the principal to constantly expand, but the moneys go back to the bank before they are re-borrowed in the next budget year. This is how debt based currency works..
The interest is always paid.
There were a few years where the government managed to pay on the principal in the 50s as indicated by this chart.
I get what you are implying, as no single factor can explain such a complicated system. In theory what you say makes great sense, but in fact the money goes in and out like oil in an engine.

smokebreaks
The Big Cheese
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: High Society Stoner
Has bestowed Karma : 184 times
Received Karma : 341 times

Post by smokebreaks »

ben ttech wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:02 am
seeing as most all their fighters have had cell phones for a while now

im guessing that the taliban will roll out a far more moderate take on an islamic state

than they did 20 years ago...
One thing which really surprised me in all my international escapades with regards to wireless communication is that all across the globe, they have had cell technology in the developing world as a commonplace device for fucking eons.

US it really wasn't until the mid 90's that it became a bit of an affordable every man's device whereas say places like the Caribbean for example seemed everyone had cell phones. Probably because the majority of the modern technology that we use in the world is developed under a DARPA grant that gets funded from the Tax Dollar as good old Walt Disney pointed out taxes are used to keep the factories humming along building weapons of war.

Because lets face it, war, is what we do.

People bitching that Biden blew it by keeping the promises that Trump made.

Seems they forget:

Secretary Pompeo
@SecPompeo

Met with Taliban Political Deputy Mullah Beradar to welcome the launch of Afghan peace negotiations.
The Taliban must seize this opportunity to forge a political settlement & reach a comprehensive & permanent ceasefire to end 40 years of war.
This effort must be Afghan led.

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/13 ... 95264?s=20
pompeo_taliban.jpg
Now we're complaining about the costs of war when it's our international strategy to bring US business interests all across the god damn globe?

Or are we bitching about who pays for it?

Like you and I ?
GOVERNMENT WARNING: Marijuana use can cause complex thoughts leading to better ideas of how to live your life. Caution, free thinking has been routinely reported with continued use.