Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore
Custom Title: spliff ninja
Has bestowed Karma : 442 times
Received Karma : 319 times

Quest for Insight

Post by Mister Grafik »

Flower sites at the sections where there should be Calyx/Sacks on vegging plants.. What's your thoughts on the mutation/expression?

More and more modern Cannabis plants are exhibiting features such as 'leaf buds', whorled phylotaxy and seemingly flower sites/shoots at the joint where the side shoots meet the main stem. Commonly where we identify the sex of the plant... Curious if anyone has any thoughts on the mutations/expressions... How it came about and why we aren't tossing plants that show it?

- would love to hear what you've got to say on it ~
.: the underdog is my dawg :.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 930 times

Quest for Insight

Post by Butcher Bob »

My understanding is...
There are locations on plants that are more prone to produce generic cells, that can easily be converted into whatever type of cell the plant needs...nodes being one of those locations. We take advantage of that when doing things like cloning. Typically folks try to include a node or two in the part of the cut being rooted, because those generic cells are easily converted into root cells. So it does not seem far fetched for the plant to throw multiple branches or flowers from a node. Just an oddity me thinks. :dunno:

Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

Quest for Insight

Post by Mister Grafik »

Butcher Bob wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:44 pm
My understanding is...
There are locations on plants that are more prone to produce generic cells, that can easily be converted into whatever type of cell the plant needs...nodes being one of those locations. We take advantage of that when doing things like cloning. Typically folks try to include a node or two in the part of the cut being rooted, because those generic cells are easily converted into root cells. So it does not seem far fetched for the plant to throw multiple branches or flowers from a node. Just an oddity me thinks. :dunno:
Heya Butcher -

Thanks for the insight.. That makes sense to me..
Things like leaf buds, triplets etc are also oddity? These cannot be bred - is there some truth to that?

The first I saw the flowers at node sites was on a Faceoff OG. I actually threw it to the grave because I thought it to be a herm..
Now I am seeing it more in subsequent generations... Could it be environmentally influenced? Or is this genetic?

I am puzzled by it - I have several plants showing these things now. But knowing they are not hermie - these are feminized.
It appears to be dominating the pool? That being said, would need to select for the plants showing the most in order to get rid of it ~

Is that the right line of thought? Inherently selecting for those plants?

On another thought, these flowers at the nodes could be taking away from the bud production on the mains..

Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

Quest for Insight

Post by Mister Grafik »

EPCK-00-03.jpg

Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

Quest for Insight

Post by Mister Grafik »

Also maybe for another thread, but I like matching leaves from different 'genotypes'

Some of which exhibit very similar mutations, but completely different combination of genetic..

Going through plants maybe there are really only a handful of true genotypes ~

Rambling work today.. I like studying why a mutation occurs for instance this leaf here sat above two lower sites.
when I would shower the plant the water fell off directly to the sides of the shoots onto the soil..

Whether or not that's why it occured, it was observed ~

:emp:

Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

Quest for Insight

Post by Mister Grafik »

Flower-Site-Node.jpg

Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

Quest for Insight

Post by Mister Grafik »

Flower-Site-Node-02.jpg

Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

Quest for Insight

Post by Mister Grafik »

From another place "I always get rid of those extra little.b4anches as soon as they start growing.they will pop up just about everywhere and when in flower they will take energy away from your mail budding sites"

Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

Quest for Insight

Post by Mister Grafik »

Giving a bit deeper thought to everything Butcher said about being a generic place for the plant to create cells it needs. Or maybe in our case of this line work, what it thinks it needs. The transition happening in the lighting of our cannabis… can this not also effect genetic? Less people are using the sun, HID - proper natural spectrums and rather running middle of the road “full spectrum”…

That being said a ton of different brands and a ton of different technicalities of lighting… are our plants genetics getting confused now?

I’m starting to think perhaps it has to do with the LED lighting. The red diodes perhaps influence these flowers to occur

Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

Quest for Insight

Post by Mister Grafik »

Also a side note, the Karma ranking system seems to be a bit fuct up ;)