Greybeard Seeds

All name brand info and homemade how-to's welcome
Oldjoints

Greybeard Seeds

Post by Oldjoints »

Purchased 10 seeds of Tangieland and so far 8 of 10 have showed sex. The other 2 haven’t declared yet. Of the 8 all have been males. I have mango dream and trainwreck in the mix from a different breeder and have the normal ratio of male to female showing with them so it’s not grower error.
I have Critical Mass and Diesel Blueberry by this breeder also but they haven’t declared yet so the jury is out on them.
I will update this thread once all show sex but thought I would warn others to steer clear of this seed company as I now have no faith that the other 2 strains will fair any better.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1317 times
Received Karma : 921 times

Greybeard Seeds

Post by Butcher Bob »

Not commenting on the source, just pointing out....probability. Some times when ya play cards, you get shitty hands. :dunno:

Oldjoints

Greybeard Seeds

Post by Oldjoints »

Yes, except for the fact I found threads at RIU and Grasscity from folks stating the same exact complaint about the same company.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1317 times
Received Karma : 921 times

Greybeard Seeds

Post by Butcher Bob »

^^^ Good information to accompany your shared experience.

Let us know how the other 2 batches turn out as well when they show. :)

Oldjoints

Greybeard Seeds

Post by Oldjoints »

Will do brother, have some Tangie from same breeder that I haven’t popped yet that I will report on also.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 417 times
Received Karma : 511 times

Greybeard Seeds

Post by Prawn Connery »

Luck of the draw, mate. I sprouted 9 Swiss Bliss F2s a couple of months back and got 8 out of 9 females. Like Bob said: some you win, some you lose.

There may be some truth in nitrogen levels playing part in determining sex: https://academic.oup.com/jxb/article/62/14/5037/480161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've also read that higher humidity leads to more females, as well as lower temps and more blue light. The one thing all these have in common is they are conditions that do not favour flowering, so it may be there is a genetic preponderance for cannabis seeds to produce more females when conditions are not conducive to flowering (nature hedging its bets) and more males when conditions are more conducive to flowering.

This ^ info has been around a long time.

FWIW, my 8 our of 9 females were in coco with flowering nutrients (low nitrogen), under LED (more blue light), and Autumn, when temps were falling. Go figure.
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Greybeard Seeds

Post by Prawn Connery »

In fact, ever since I switched to vegging under 5000K LEDs, I've had a very high proportion of females from my regular seeds.
Licensed to Krill

Oldjoints

Greybeard Seeds

Post by Oldjoints »

Read here bro: https://www.rollitup.org/t/greybeard-seeds.962424/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is another thread on grasscity about folks getting all males with his seeds but I’m to lazy right now to look it up. I contacted them yesterday about what happened and haven’t heard back from them.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Greybeard Seeds

Post by Prawn Connery »

Yeah, looks a bit hit and miss. If you ordered fems and got males I would certainly be pissed. If you ordered regulars and got males, then I'm not sure what you can do about it. If they provide shitty customer service, then that's an entirely different issue.

All I can offer is that females usually show last, after males, so hopefully you've got at least two fems.
Licensed to Krill

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 70 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Greybeard Seeds

Post by Jesús Malverde »

I'm not even sure how it would be possible to create seeds with an unusual preponderance of males or even females. I'm skeptical that it's anything but random chance.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow