when i see those hash "boxes" i have to wonder if you have got a freeze dryer

and

when will it come to the big bubble hash wars between frenchy and bubble man

hehe
awoken the right way

Oldjoints

Next up

Post by Oldjoints »

deran wrote:when i see those hash "boxes" i have to wonder if you have got a freeze dryer
Nope but I will be getting one soon.

Oldjoints

Next up

Post by Oldjoints »

A quick update on the mango dream and the trainwreck.

Took some clones, not all at the same time and why there is different stages of growth.
In the flower room pic the mango is in the front and train wreck in the back.
Soon I will take one clone from each plant and sex them so I know what the parents are. By then these plants won’t be far from putting the remainders in flower.
Not much to look at right now so just a couple pics:

Oldjoints

Next up

Post by Oldjoints »

These were thrown into flower a few days ago, some have showed sex, I will give them a few days more for all of them to declare and collect the pollen from the best male in each strain and chop them.
The last pic are the clones fresh in the soil. I will of course toss all the males and use the fems in my next line-up:

Oldjoints

Next up

Post by Oldjoints »

Switched the light about a week ago. Ended up with 6 males that I found unimpressive so will do a father search with the next batch , I have an ample amount of clones for each female so will take my time to pick the best of the bunch and use the best male I find to breed her. I usually only seed a few branches through isolation as I don’t need a great deal of seed.
Below are the girls starting their stretch:

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

Next up

Post by deran »

whats your selection method for the males?
do you smoke/vape them?

when you find a male, do you keep him as a backup or only the pollen?

and if so, do you have any hints n tips for keeping males long alive in their vegi stage?
awoken the right way

Oldjoints

Next up

Post by Oldjoints »

Wow a subject I love to discuss.
Male selection for me is the hardest and most important one you are going to make if creating something of quality.
As far as my process:
I consider ALL males as a candidate, I don’t just toss the earliest one like some.
I look for trichomes on a male, to me this is always a good signal.
I look at the structure and hardiness, branchy structure is what I want to see.
Smell is always a part of my selection also, strain considered.
I have tried smoking the pollen years ago and it told me nothing, though friends swear by it, perhaps I have a poor palate?
I only keep the pollen unless I am going to use the male itself to pollinate many. I have never tried keeping a male past it’s “use by” date.

The above is a summary of the major signals I use when picking a male. I have no tips on longevity of the male itself. A tip I will share is that to make plenty of pollen from the selected male, done normally or cut the sacs off and place in baggie for week or so. After that cover the top of container you store it in with flour to help with moisture. Flour will also help stretch the pollen when mixed up.

Hope that helped in some way bro, I’m old school with old tricks that many know.

Oldjoints

Next up

Post by Oldjoints »

Repeated post.
Sorry

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

Next up

Post by deran »

thank you for your time to elaborate :tup:

pretty much sums it up and could be re-copied word for word for any growbook you are working on

i just might to add that i choose smoking for selection, tho no pollen as it wont get you high, in the worst case you can get a nasty allergic reaction which could potentially kill you

i use the small leafs around the male pollen sacks, only problem is, that i need a tolerance break of a week or two to have an kind of objective result of it, and of course only the first joint in the morning after waking up will give an adequate result to me

when found, i cut off a branch or the main stalk and put it into a glass of water toripen the pollen untill it starts falling out and i do the paper sack thing, while i discard the father plant

i often wonder how the breeders do it, as i found out that many males are actually half assed ruderalis strains, its easy to hold a mother for a long time, but males have also this time-stamp in their genetic code and will start to flower when their time has come, no matter if its on 24 hours light and has been re-cloned and vegged

somehow i would like to find a male that can be treated as a female , veggie-wise , and can be used extensively for in example backcrossing actions

anyways, today its all silver ... lol

ive seen a video on yt, where growers are able to germinate some seeds, wait 2 weeks until the first true pair of leafs has grown out, cut of a snippet of the leafs, and send them to a lab
3 days later you get your sex evaluation, and also your cannbinoid ratios, which lets you speed up and narrow down the whole process, not to mention the saved man-power-hours of hard work and labor and no more need for a smoke/tolerance break, yeah thats a thing that makes me envy not living at a legal place
awoken the right way

Oldjoints

Next up

Post by Oldjoints »

A quick update.
The clones are coming along nicely and as you can see below the girls are doing their thing.
These plants are almost at 5 ft and will finish at a tolerable height: