A question about curing?

All name brand info and homemade how-to's welcome
Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot
Custom Title: Wiki Freak

A question about curing?

Post by Dick Fein »

There would be BPA in the paint can so I suppose maybe glass is the way to go.
I did manage to make 7 grams of shatter that has a greener taste than I had hoped so maybe I will just dissolve 5 grams in the 26 oz bottle and tincture is done.

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT
Has bestowed Karma : 15 times
Received Karma : 231 times

A question about curing?

Post by MadMoonMan »

You have come to the right place Young Butterfly!

To make a long story of years short.

Granny's Joy Juice!

This recipe is for everclear but will work with vodka.

This is for 1/2 ounce excellent smoke.

The more weed you put in the stronger the tincture will be.

I try for 1 shot is 1/2 a joint.

Actually, I lied. I like to do 1 joint per ounce of alcohol. Butt I realise that most people can't handle that.

So, I say, "Hey guys? Who is drinking this you or me?"

oops sorry ... continue recipee

take 14 grams and put in a large Mason Jars? mix in a bottle of vodka.

Cook at 215 degrees for 75 minutes.

Necessary for decarbolization.

That means what Kids? A .. dee.. laying... .. huh huh huh? A dee Caying what?"

A particle decayed and gave off a what? Kids? A part....

a part it... ends with c.... l.. e.. anyone?

This is optimum time for peak aroma and flavor.

Ok yes based on my looking at all that boring graphy stuff and thinking hey....

Put in water bath.... cook at 215 degrees for 75 minutes.

Strain.

! tablespoon ... Wait 20 mins if you don't go insane your allowed 1 more tablespoon.

It's the long slow heat process brings out the oils and essences. Soaks the THC.

In the beginning I soaked it for weeks.

Now you just need to wait till it cools.
Just because I can't spell misanthrope doesn't mean I'm completely stupid.

Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

A question about curing?

Post by Dick Fein »

I will not be taking any of it. I already wore out my liver. I ordered a new one from China but you know how it is. Are you heating that jar outside or in?

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 420 times
Received Karma : 517 times

A question about curing?

Post by Prawn Connery »

Roots wrote:Time, heat, oxygen ruins good weed....curing is a gimmick.

There’s a reason all the oil/hash/crystalline/distillate/rosin makers all charge more for the stuff made with fresh frozen trim and freeze drying is the best why to get the water out of hash.
I agree heat and oxygen (oxidisation) degrade THC. But because I can't be fucked making hash or distillates (hell, I usually can't be fucked making hash cookies - I've got so much good trim waiting to be cannabuttered . . .), I cure everything and put it in jars. Because I also can't smoke everything I grow in one sitting. And also my freezer is full. Oh, and also when you freeze weed, it's easier to knock/shake trichomes off as they are more brittle when frozen.

Anyway, my point is, I'm no fucking scientist. Just a dude who grows and smokes a bit of weed. And I would much rather smoke cured weed than freshly dried. It just tastes better. And a bit of time for all those stored starches to be broken down, and THC to metabolise to other cannabinoids . . . I dunno, it just seems to have a better affect also.

Purely anecdotal, you understand. Though I've been doing it a long time . . .

I guess what I'm saying is, if all you do is grow and smoke buds and can't be fucked doing anything else, then curing isn't really a gimmick - it's a necessity!
:toker1:
Licensed to Krill

Roots

A question about curing?

Post by Roots »

Anyone care to explain why live resin goes for twice as much as cured?

Like I said, most of you don’t grow weed that is covered in trichomes and loaded with terps so the star of the show is your leafy starch filled plant matter that you need to smooth out.

The star of my flowers is the terps and trichomes so it only hurts the smoke by taking the time to let the starches break down.

You either have fresh great tasting terps with a bit of starches.
Or you have old degraded terps but broke down starches.
You can’t have both broke down starches and fresh terps.
Bad weed I would want to break down the starches because the terps will never be and never were the star of the plant, good weed I care primarily about the terps.

Long term storage is pretty easy to prove no matter if it’s good or bad smoke.
Fill two jars with perfectly dried flowers, one goes in the freezer the other a cool dry place, wait 6 months or even a few years....every time the freezer weed will win.
Attachments
C42541F4-5A3E-4D9B-B49F-C2ECCCF5CC11.jpeg

Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

A question about curing?

Post by Dick Fein »

I just picked up some phyto2 live resin and it is nice but not twice the cost here. 2 grams for 90.00 at my local dispensary.
After a week in the jars burping daily 5 hygrometers have started to read moisture near 70% so I dumped those jars out for an hour and then sealed them up again. I marked those jars to keep an eye on them. One of the Amnesia Haze has really nice flavor and bag appeal.

Roots

A question about curing?

Post by Roots »

I probably payed a bit more too because it was “estate grown”.

Worth the extra money is subjective, but definitely taste better.

You should do a side by side with that haze if you can sit on two jars for six months.

...and remember humanity is relative, big difference between 70%rh at 60 degrees and 80 degrees.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 929 times

A question about curing?

Post by Butcher Bob »

Roots wrote:Anyone care to explain why live resin goes for twice as much as cured?
Consumers + Marketing = Go figure
Like I said, most of you don’t grow weed that is covered in trichomes and loaded with terps so the star of the show is your leafy starch filled plant matter that you need to smooth out.

The star of my flowers is the terps and trichomes so it only hurts the smoke by taking the time to let the starches break down.

You can’t have both broke down starches and fresh terps
You may have a point aboot the quantity of trichs...higher density may correlate with less cure time, since it seems that low trich sallies benefit most from a longer cure.

Still doesn't address the improvement in flavor from longer curing strains. I can think of three I've done that were substantially better flavor with a longer cure...DJ's Blueberry, Durban Poison, and Sensi Skunk.

But I will grant you, scissor hash is some of the best tasting shit. :grin:
Long term storage is pretty easy to prove...freezer...a cool dry place....
Roots wrote:...and remember humanity is relative, big difference between 70%rh at 60 degrees and 80 degrees.
Good point aboot the humidity/temperature. But I would stop short of freezing anything with moisture in it.

Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

A question about curing?

Post by Dick Fein »

I can definitely do a side by side comparison.
I used to keep everything in the freezer and was happy but after 3 or 4 months I noticed it was losing something. Of course that was stored in tupperware and not vacuum sealed

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 420 times
Received Karma : 517 times

A question about curing?

Post by Prawn Connery »

Way back in the day, we all used to store our weed in the freezer thinking that was the best way to preserve it. Then I started jarring it up and noticed it tasted better and there were subtle changes to the effects (THC breaking down to CBN). The whole idea behind jarring is to prevent further oxidisation after initial drying.

But . . . there is a limit to how long you can store it like that before it starts to noticeably degrade. And that's probably mostly to do with the number of times you open the jar to access your weed and let in fresh oxygen. There can also be issues with mold if you do not fully dry the weed, or if you leave the jars open in humid conditions. But by and large, I'd say it's good for at least three-six months if done properly.

I'm not in a position to argue about hash or distillates, with which I have no experience. Except for maybe scissor hash. It's good stuff, but again a properly cured bud will have a slightly more mellow effect than scissor hash from the same plant, which I can only attribute to THC breaking down into CBN (which we know happens over time).
Licensed to Krill