Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 420 times
Received Karma : 517 times

Sex reversing

Post by Prawn Connery »

No-one else has answered this, so I will. Yes, breeders are making crosses with reversed clones. Luc at Paradise Seeds does it. Some of the first feminised test seeds he sent me were reversed clone crosses, including my old Stinky Cat Piss Haze, which was an SSH clone pollinated with a reversed indica clone. Have a look at his femmed collection and you can work out many of them for yourself.

White Berry is obviously an Ingmar's White Widow female crossed with a Blueberry female.

Acid is a Diesel clone crossed with something else (its not a selfed Diesel).

Etc.

On the other topic, CB and G are correct. The whole idea of crossing two stabilised strains to create a true F1 is to see which dominant genes from both sides reliably dominate the other to give you (somewhat) uniform results - but perhaps more importantly, genetic hybrid vigour, which can result in higher yields and growth than might be associated with one or the other stabilised strains.
Licensed to Krill

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 71 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Sex reversing

Post by Jesús Malverde »

The only stable lines--meaning seed made from random parents will conform to the type--I've ever dealt with have all been almost pure indicas, probably old farmers' cultivars from Asia. They are really, really nice if you find one you dig as a grower. The typical hybrids sold as "strains" don't really work that way, so I don't think they will produce F1s with either reliably express the wanted characteristics or true heterotic vigor. Breeding takes lots of time and lots of numbers, two things modern first world black market cannabis "breeders" have never had and ain't got. If any novel new varieties are produced and stabilized, it'll have to be legal commercial growers. You can learn 95% of what you need to know from 100 year old books, it ain't high tech, but even if you know everything you'll still need hundreds or thousands of plants over a period of years to do it properly.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 420 times
Received Karma : 517 times

Sex reversing

Post by Prawn Connery »

Worst part is, they've gone and polluted a lot of the landrace varieties throughout Asia by planting commercial Dutch varieties. Last time I was in Cambodia, most of what was on offer were skunk types with that fuzzy indica feel. Christ, when I first went there in 1991, I took my pick of local ganja at the Phnom Penh markets and spent the rest of the month travelling around the country with a HUGE (pound or more) bag of pot that I took to every restaurant and asked them to cook with. I smoked the stuff, drank it, ate it . . . couldn't think of anything else to do with it! It never put me on my arse - it was a really nice head high all the way.
Licensed to Krill

jesus

Sex reversing

Post by jesus »

Prawn Connery wrote:Worst part is, they've gone and polluted a lot of the landrace varieties throughout Asia
If you ever watched Strain Hunters they run around the world stealing landrace seeds then leave some of their hybrids with the poor farmers.

Theyre all prolly polluted now.

jesus

Sex reversing

Post by jesus »

Wow Ben thats a lot of original content you posted here.

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 71 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Sex reversing

Post by Jesús Malverde »

The Sinaloans in Mexico have apparently pretty much all gone over to Dutch/American genetics although I've heard that there are still small boutique farmers in Oaxaca-Michoacán-Chiapas growing heirloom stuff for the local connoisseurs. Same story in Jamaica, and likely in SE Asia as well. Probably hard to compete growing tropical sativas that produce only one crop per year against shorter flowering hybrids that can crank out two or even three. Federal legalization in the US and in some of the producer countries in the tropics to allow imports is probably the best hope for keeping the market for tropical sativas alive, although it is likely to remain a niche market. Hawaii needs to get on the rec cannabis bandwagon in the meantime so some of these lines can at least be legally grown outdoors and kept alive within the US.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

jesus

Sex reversing

Post by jesus »

There's always southern FL too. Or Texas.

jesus

Sex reversing

Post by jesus »

Reminds me I pollinated a skunk xxx with a la confidential male just about 3 day ago. That skunk is way too stretchy.