newbie here!

Tell everyone what you are about.
bodyjohn
needs karma

newbie here!

Post by bodyjohn »

hello guyz!
i am new here so i would like to say hi to all the members of myplanetganja.
since this is my first post, so pardon me any mistakes.
i want your help in drying my cannabis as i am growing them at my home. please share only cost effective methods.thanks

Oldjoints

newbie here!

Post by Oldjoints »

Here is a method that Butcher Bob wrote in answer to a similar question. It is very similar to what I and others do to dry and cure our bud. If you have any questions after reading post it up and I’m sure someone will help you.

Drying:
I open air hang dry trimmed branches in 40% RH environment for 7-10 days...to the point where exposed stems snap when bent. Processes within the plant do not stop when the plant is chopped. As long as there is sufficient moisture they will continue. Drying in less than 7 days tends to lock in chlorophyll and other nasty shit that you are trying to minimize. Taking longer than 10 days starts to increase the chance of molds. I have found that the 40% RH level enables me to hit within that time frame, allowing for most of the chlorophyll to be worked out. When done the outside of the buds will be crispy to the touch, and the exposed stems will snap. The buds are then cut off the stems and put in big jars for curing. During the beginning of the curing process, moisture from the center of the buds will even out to the crispy outsides, leaving the buds slightly pliable. Upon checking the next day, if they are too wet I simply dump the jar out and let the buds dry til crispy again...if too dry I put a fresh leaf or two in the jar to moisten them back up. Once they retain the right level of moisture, they are 'dry'.

Curing:
I've done a couple strains that were best as soon as they were dry...while curing continued to smooth out the harshness, flavor started to diminish. At the other end of the spectrum I have also done strains that were lacking in flavor and potency upon first drying, that when cured for 6 months greatly improved flavor and easily doubled the potency. For the first week of curing, I open the jars for 10-15 minutes a day to release built up gases from the plant processes continuing to do their thing...that is the grassy/hay smell you will notice upon opening them. During the second week I open them every other day. In the third week, twice during the week. And after that, once a week until that grassy/hay smell is no longer present when opening the jars. Once you're to that point, you can seal them up for storage. For strains that take longer than 30 days you will have to experiment with smoking them to determine what the best time length is.

I have found that properly dried & cured buds will last 12-18 months stored in sealed mason jars stored in a cool dark pantry before they start to diminish.

Oldjoints

newbie here!

Post by Oldjoints »

Here is a picture of some I have drying:

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

newbie here!

Post by deran »

honestly?

i mean ... w0000000t ???
awoken the right way

Munchy
Board Administrator
Karma Monster
Karma Monster
Custom Title: UnhingedMotherfucker
Has bestowed Karma : 499 times
Received Karma : 983 times

newbie here!

Post by Munchy »

Greetings, and welcome to myplanetganja! :gadday:

I'm having difficulty imagining what methods of drying cannabis that would cost you anything, aside from maybe running a fan indirectly just to keep the air circulating around the room and help control humidity. I suppose a carbon air filtered exhaust system would be good to help keep the odor from becoming a problem in your home for that week, depending on how big your harvest is. But it's best to allow enough time for it to dry slow and naturally as advised above, so any device like a dehydrator to add heat and speed up the process is not normally recommended, unless maybe if the environment is just so cold and damp, like maybe in Alaska, that it really prevents the natural slow drying process, in which case you might need to simply bring the temp up to a more comfortable level, but not too warm. Perhaps a dehumidifier might be needed if you were running a big commercial operation to dry a very large multi-pound harvest, but it's not necessary for a personal or hobby home-grower.

btw, the most common mistake that newbies make on their first post, is coming here just to post their spam links, as if this is some kind of classified bulletin board free-for-all, but since you're obviously here for the right reasons instead, the newbie post review restriction has been lifted from your account, so you may now post freely in real-time. :wink:
Prohibition is Futile Image THC will be Assimilated
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ How To Pass Drug Tests ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein