Continuing Adventures in Hempy

For the hydro-heads
JapanFreak-temp

Post by JapanFreak-temp »

So here's a reminder about my set up.

I run 2 hempy closets, a 250 and a 400 watter. Both in closets with charcoal filters. I make Hempy Tubs that are 60 liters big but I only fill them with about 40 liters. Been using the same recycled and sterilized perlite for over a year now and the yield keeps getting better. My method is super K.I.S.S. just mix the GH nutes according to direction. I don't bother with pH or ppms.

Here was my last chop about a week ago. Turned out to be 273 grams off of 6 plants on a 60 (64?) grow clone to harvest.

And here is what is going on now

Day 3 veg 400 watts
Just 6 Chronics rooted in my aero-cloner and plugged in. Normally I veg for about 12 days and cut around 50 with this strain.

Day 17 flower 250 watts
And here is the smaller one. Oh man you guys should have seen people flip out at the site I was on when I had the nerve to tell them that you can actually grow at full strength GH nutes. Some soil grower mod over there has all the newbies convinced that half strength is too much. Pissed them totally off when I showed plants grown at full strength. They tried to rationalize it away by saying that the GH nutes in Europe are stronger. Pissed them off even more when I explained that they are actually the same nutes, just labeled differently according to the laws.

So that's about it. This thread is just to show a simple grow and help me remember which day it is.

JapanFreak-temp

This is what I have planned for the 250 watter after this cycle. These are some Jackie-O mothers that I made in hempy. I don't plan on keeping these that long but I think I'll make a proper hempy mother bucket, the way I see it, to keep a mother like this I would really need to flush it once every few months so I'm thinking of making a drain hole on the bottoms that can be plugged up.

So a little about this strain.

was made by a guy called Nebu and it's called Jackie-O (Jack Flash X Cali-O) and it certainly has a strong citrus smell growing and if you vape it, the citrus is totally there. If you smoke it though more of the skunk flavor comes out. Nice dense buds and the smoke just gets really good after about a month cure.

Now I don't know if this is true or not, but Jack Herer is supposed to be Super Silver Haze more or less, so imagine that with more skunk and you get an idea.

So far I've only grown out 3 small test plants and I'm thinking of sogging them.

JapanFreak-temp

It was very odd. Just a lot of people who were saying stuff like it was matter of fact which didn't make sense to me at all. Like people saying the number one hydro newbie mistake was overfeeding their plants. I always thought the number one mistake was stuff like root rot or something. Guess I've just missed all these threads with way over feed hydro plants.

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

Day 10 veg 400 watter
I really shocked the hell out of these when I put them in but they are coming around. For the first week or so I just give each plant about 500cc of the grow formula at their base every few days. I think their roots have hit the bottom on the box so they should start to explode in the next few days.

Jackie-O Mothers
My friend is making some Jackie-Os in soil but after seeing how these look he's considering doing hydro mothers. These are really easy to care for, regular grow formula once a week under 100 watts of cfls.

And here we have a Bubba Ghaze and Silver Haze. These were late for my last cloning run in the aero-cloner so I thought I would try cloning them in mini-hempy cups. Just stuck the cuts in rooting powder and stuck them in. Not really expecting them to live, but it would be cool if they made it, if not I'm getting more cuts to put in my aero-cloner next round.

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

Day 24 flower 250 watts
You can see that I got some small plants on the right. Even though I've been getting some really good results yield wise with these plants recently, there's something that's different about them.

When I feed them I try to make sure that I get plenty of run-off and I hear that's how soil growers do it as well. To aim for about 30% run-off to make sure things are fresh.
I use a kerosene fuel pump that is battery operated to feed my plants that looks like this. I put it at the base of each plant for about 5 seconds and then try to cover the surface area evenly so that all the medium gets wet.

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

Took a look at the 400 watt closet today and they are a few days away from being ready to flip so I'm not going to feed them anymore grow formula. The only draw back with hempy is that the flip timing. You don't want to give them a feeding of grow right before you flip, much better to get bloom nutes or transition nutes in. So it looks like I'll be ready to flip around 19 days instead of my normal 14 and that's because of the shock I gave them at the beginning.

I have another concern with these Chronics I'm growing and reducing finger numbers on their leafs. I'm getting a lot of fans with 3 fingers instead of 5 but my yield has actually been going up so I don't know what to make of it. A few cycles ago I took cuts during flower and I thought it might be a reveg problem but it's obviously not that. I've had this plant for about 2 years now so I might need to pop a new Chronic seed or two.

Edit: I forgot to mention that those little cuts rooted in the tiny hemp cups. If you gave them a good environment as far as heat and light I bet they would root a lot faster. I just stick them in the back because it was just a test and it took a few weeks.

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

Day 32 flower 250 watt
Things are chugging along in this closet. I got 2 plants that are pretty small on the right there but not going to sweat it. There is some tip burn on some leafs so I just made sure to get plenty of run-off and keep it at full strength. In a few days I'm going to flip the 400 and take cuts for this closet for the next round which will mostly be Jackie-O and a few Chronics stuck in the side to get cuts from. I really need more space to keep a few more mothers but that's somewhere down the line.

hort
needs karma
Custom Title: my custom title

Post by hort »

Your grows always amaze me. You make it look so easy :mrgreen:

hort
Surely joy is the condition of life ......... Thoreau

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

I think it was just the temps that were holding you back but I think you already know that. What an odd winter it was.

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

Yes they are. I bet your plants aren't that cute.