Is There A Chance I'm Drowning My Ebb&Gro Plants?

For the hydro-heads
WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: Turbine Powered Toker
Has bestowed Karma : 521 times
Received Karma : 217 times

Post by WhiteHotAfterburner »

Ebb&Gro, Flood and Drain growers.

What is a right Fill/Flood cycle?

How long do you leave your system (buckets, containers) full of nutrients before you Drain them?

How often do you Fill your system in a 24 hour period?

The plants still aren’t as lively as they should be. I ‘think’ I may be drowning them.

They are growing and showing good color but the leaves are droopy. Even through the Lights On cycle. I expected they'd perk up after my Emergency Flush about a week ago. They haven't.

I Fill 4 times in 24 hours. I leave the buckets Filled for 1 hour. I Fill once in lights off.

I have read numerous things on the topic. Some say ‘don’t Fill during lights off’. Some say only leave system Filled for 10 minutes then drain.

I just reset my timer to Fill for 1/2 hour then Drain (1/2 of my just previous cycle). Since I added the external, transfer pump the buckets are full and equalized in about 8 minutes.

What's the chance I'm drowning them with that Fill/Drain cycle?

Thanks in advance!

:tup:,
WHAB

Oldjoints

Post by Oldjoints »

Last edited by Oldjoints on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Oldjoints wrote:I haven’t done hydro in twenty years but a quick search brought up this info:
https://www.leaffin.com/flood-drain-hyd ... -schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey, brother!

Yeah, that is one of the articles I read that prompted me to throw those questions out there.

This is sort of all over the place..."...you may need to flood and drain 9, 10 or even 15 times a day. You may need 1-2 flooding in the night..."

And then this really has me asking the question...

"Do not hold your flood cycle duration for longer than 10 minutes. Add 1 – 2 minutes to this time if using clay pebbles."

That is suggesting I Drain after just 12 minutes after Filling it.

Thank you, Oldjoints! :tup:

WHAB

Roots

Post by Roots »

If there is no dissolved oxygen in your res one hour seems like a long time.....really it should only be one minute and then drained.....I was already thinking you should do way more flooding and draining.....I would do it every hour for just a short period of time and maybe add some airstones to the main res.

You pretty much have everything you need to do DWC, it’s a much simpler system as long as you never need to leave the plants for more than 48 hours.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Roots wrote:If there is no dissolved oxygen in your res one hour seems like a long time.....really it should only be one minute and then drained.....I was already thinking you should do way more flooding and draining.....I would do it every hour for just a short period of time and maybe add some airstones to the main res.

You pretty much have everything you need to do DWC, it’s a much simpler system as long as you never need to leave the plants for more than 48 hours.
Hey man! :wave:

I was hoping you'd pipe in! I have been thinking about this even before your other questions in the other thread.

As I understand it, from what I have read, the recirculation back into the reservoir creates its own agitation that creates its own oxygenation. The draining liquids fall from an elbow fitting just under the lid on the reservoir to the bottom half of the reservoir...a waterfall effect. (30 or so gallons in a 55 gallon barrel).
Veg Waterfall 04162021.jpg
Veg Waterfall 04162021.jpg (798.63 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Am I wrong in that understanding?

I may have to leave the plants for a day or two. That's one of many things I like about these systems. It's 'generally' a numbers game. You stay in the numbers, in the sweet spot, and it will finish successfully.

I'm not against your suggestion. I know oxygen is beneficial - necessary - to any grow...the plants require it.

I do appreciate you speaking up. I'm willing to listen and learn! I'm trying to understand and get better!

Thanks, Roots!,
WHAB

Roots

Post by Roots »

Yes, the circulation causes there to be DO but the DO disapates real quick once the circulation stops.

With an external filter in a fish tank you always have water circulating and falling back in the tank but that doesn’t saturate the water with enough DO for fish to live without air stones.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Post by rSin »

aquarium guys oxygenate with a powerhead that ripples the surface of a/the pool
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Roots wrote:Yes, the circulation causes there to be DO but the DO disapates real quick once the circulation stops.

With an external filter in a fish tank you always have water circulating and falling back in the tank but that doesn’t saturate the water with enough DO for fish to live without air stones.
With the 2 short feedings today they look to be sagging less, maybe.

My timer goes in 15 minute increments. It takes a little less than that to fill up.

I now have it set for 2 increments per feeding (1/2 hour), 4 feedings per day. If that doesn't work I will increase the number of short feedings.

I will get an airstone tomorrow.

I'm not seeing floaters in the reservoir or the control bucket. I am seeing it in the bottom of the buckets. I'm going to a flush as soon as I can. I'm going to buy a commercial Flushing agent. I'll reup the nutes and add more H020 when I do.

Thanks, Roots...sincerely! :tup:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

rSin wrote:aquarium guys oxygenate with a powerhead that ripples the surface of a/the pool
I thought the cascading waterfall would be sufficient.

I will add a airstone tomorrow.

I just have to remember to put it on my shopping list! :grin:

Thanks, rSin! :tup:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Roots wrote:If there is no dissolved oxygen in your res one hour seems like a long time.....really it should only be one minute and then drained.....I was already thinking you should do way more flooding and draining.....I would do it every hour for just a short period of time and maybe add some airstones to the main res.

Okay.

I'm listening.

Knowing I have a C.A.P Ebb&Gro bucket system now, what do I need to make it a DWC system?

WHAB