Page 1 of 9

Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:14 pm
by Intrinsic
This is a learning experience for me. Critiques are welcomed.

I came to the slow realization the first thing one needs to grow plants outdoors is a hole.

So build a raised bed, plumb it and dig down another good foot until the rock bed gets too much.



Which is where I'm at.
Planning to get some good potting soil (FoxFarm) and amendments:
worm castings, chicken manure, Dolomite lime and 10-10-10 slow release organic fert which is basically a bunch of meals (kelp, bone, blood, feather ..). And then fill her up.
Cost ought to be about $50. Maybe less if I add some of the natural clay soil here for water retention.

Pruty boring so far eh?

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:26 am
by Roots
How tall can the plant get?...How many do you plan on growing in that box?

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:13 pm
by deran
had the same q on my mind - hoped that time would tell ...

1 to 9 plants for the season, that what i would estimate

not knowing much about your climate (but i see that you are at least a month ahead of mine) i wonder about your clay amandments, if they are really neccessarry ? from expirience down in serbia at 45N , i had rain 1 to 2 times within a month, that was totally enough for the plants to strive without additional waterings, tho i did this, just bc i had fert salts which had to be dissolved , but i didnt watered every lot i had
so id say if you have periods with less than once a month rain, with high temps (40C) during peak summer, they will and gonna survive, and water retention amandments arent needed ... another thing if you are somewhere in the middle of a desert ...
as much as i like the idea of organic farming, i hate clay so much .. you wouldnt believe it .... well half of my super haze seeds i planted nearby a clay mine - worst idea ever - plants got almost 20 cm tall before they died off ... lol... at least i can lough at it ...
i would tho recomand "plastc" water crystals ... best performance, as they can hold some hundred fold times water of their own weight
the reason for my thoughts is that i havent read that you were planing a drainage layer at the bottom, perlite, cocos, hydro correls, sand or something similiar

just by looks your lot looks like something 1,50m X 1,50 .... each plant at least 3 meters .... hopefully you have 5 more lots like this one .. ;)
you simply cant have too much of a yield, thats just impossible ... lol

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:01 am
by MadMoonMan
Interesting lol I always did like the way you think

:)

Reminds me of those Northern Ca triangle people digging and drilling hugh holes to fill with good soil.

critters eating and shitting plant food over the many years.

Like the Israelites made the deserts bloom.

Watering in deserts.

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:08 am
by MadMoonMan
I cant do outdoor grows currently or for while ... to many neighbors moving in.

I've lost some of my outdoor privacy.

Still have a non flir available basement. He He He.

Look forward to your good results. We learn something from every thing.

"OUCH! I'm not sticking any more hot pokers up my ass. And I'm not kidding you!"

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:12 am
by MadMoonMan
lol i'm kidding Do I look that stupid? I would never really stick a hot poker purposely up my ass I was just fooling around and wanted to see how close I could get it.... and . uh an earthquake just happened to occur.

All I'm saying.

I can and will produce seismographic results on demand for copying and shipping costs only and a 10% handling charge on gross amount.

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:08 pm
by Intrinsic
Roots wrote:How tall can the plant get?...How many do you plan on growing in that box?


12 feet tall, same as my tomatoes.

Two, really one, as with the rest of my veggie garden i always plant two in case one croaks (gopher, birds, rabbits ..just bad luck)
But i might try 4 in there. I am playing it as i go. already i think i made the dimension wrong. and if only one plant works i'm thinking next year make it smaller, so to give back some room for the zucchinis and winter squash.

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:11 pm
by Intrinsic
deran wrote:had the same q on my mind - hoped that time would tell ...

1 to 9 plants for the season, that what i would estimate

not knowing much about your climate (but i see that you are at least a month ahead of mine) i wonder about your clay amandments, if they are really neccessarry ? from expirience down in serbia at 45N , i had rain 1 to 2 times within a month, that was totally enough for the plants to strive without additional waterings, tho i did this, just bc i had fert salts which had to be dissolved , but i didnt watered every lot i had
so id say if you have periods with less than once a month rain, with high temps (40C) during peak summer, they will and gonna survive, and water retention amandments arent needed ... another thing if you are somewhere in the middle of a desert ...
as much as i like the idea of organic farming, i hate clay so much .. you wouldnt believe it .... well half of my super haze seeds i planted nearby a clay mine - worst idea ever - plants got almost 20 cm tall before they died off ... lol... at least i can lough at it ...
i would tho recomand "plastc" water crystals ... best performance, as they can hold some hundred fold times water of their own weight
the reason for my thoughts is that i havent read that you were planing a drainage layer at the bottom, perlite, cocos, hydro correls, sand or something similiar

just by looks your lot looks like something 1,50m X 1,50 .... each plant at least 3 meters .... hopefully you have 5 more lots like this one .. ;)
you simply cant have too much of a yield, thats just impossible ... lol


The climate here is freezing snowy winters and long hot dry summers. Up to 6 months between rains. summer temps are often above 100F/56C for weeks at a time.
I've learned to use the native clay water retention soil to my advantage over the years with the veggies.

As for drainage, i'm a little concerned over it, had rain the other day and it left a couple of inches of water on the bottom for a couple of days before it drained. So i put a layer of sand on the bottom, and on top of that old chopped up roots (for the earth worms).

I already filled it up with 4 bags of cheap potting soil (Kellogg), chicken manure, dolomite, worm castings and a 10-10-10 organic slow release fert (it's just a bunch of different meals). And about 20% native soil. I feel good about it.

As for feeding I'll use fish fert (5-1-1) and later mix in some 0-10-10. Same as i do now with the veggies, trying to keep it simple :winky:

"just by looks your lot looks like something 1,50m X 1,50 .... each plant at least 3 meters .... hopefully you have 5 more lots like this one .. ;)
you simply cant have too much of a yield, thats just impossible ... lol"

3 meters a plant, 5 more like it! , Jeez Louise, how much weed do you think i smoke? how much do ya think i get a plant? i'm thinking at least 4 oz per plant, at best a pound. I only need 8oz per year.
Anyway this is an exploratory grow, to see what's what.
Anyway the rest of the area is for vegetables which is the real priority here.

With the veggie garden i have found one either grows too little or too much. Never the exact right amount, so i plan for the later, the extra is given away or recycled in the compost pile, one can never have enough compost lol. gonna be same with the weed.

Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:16 pm
by MadMoonMan
My favorite grow. outdoors ... was green house ... I grew UBC Chemo the first time. started them outdoors ... see my how to hide marijuana trim the ends... anyway.. When the botritis mold started to move in I'd trim them clean and move them under a plastic shelter. They grew to 12 feet tall..

middle of my greenhouse was 10 feet tall. when you walked in you were a drawf in forest. Amazing part was I grew them in 2 gallon buckets...

doh ? But then I was a lot more energetic then.

:)

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:36 pm
by Intrinsic
Choosing seeds I have a choice of using seeds from the batch that made just grew out.
Or the new ones I just made.
Or some 10 year old seeds from a white widow hybrid (Satin from Mandala seeds).
Were good and added the "white" to my current line. But there were ten AK47 seeds accidentally mixed in, so I never used the seed batch.
Or the mystery seeds. They were sitting in a little ceramic pot so I must of thought the smoke was good and so saved the seeds. I think.

Now I need to start soaking the seeds today and this is the best I have to choose from.

But …. If by mid May or June I can get hold of clone, sativa preferred, I likely use that.


I am going to play the Game. I like games.
The rules Are: Only 6 living plants allowed.

So I'm growing 6 seedlings from seed in pots. Figure half will be males and I only need 2 females, so it ought to be good. Still need the males for future seeds too.

So until I determine sex I can't put 'em in the ground. I have no idea how that is going to play out.

The Question:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 pm
by Intrinsic
Which lead to the Question:

Growing outdoors starting in march and in pots at about 38 degree Latitude;
How long or when can I expect to sex them, that is see pre flowers?

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:32 pm
by MadMoonMan
Mid June at earliest Is my first guess. Males first of course.


Mid August for sure females buds.

Don't plant to early in March.

Without a plastic canopy

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:34 pm
by Intrinsic
Thank You MadMoonMan!!

Hmmm .. Well .. dang .. i want to get 'em in the ground by end of May so the taproot will have time to grow down all the way.
Perhaps i should plant 4 or 5 or all of 'em then weed out the males?
But the need males to be moved to safely harvest their pollen. I guess i could keep 3 in their pots and 3 in the ground, reasonable odds one in the ground will be female? and one of the pots will be male?

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:43 pm
by Intrinsic
"Bigger the root, Bigger the fruit"
~Intrinsic

Re: Intrinsic does outdoor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:05 pm
by Intrinsic
MadMoonMan wrote:Don't plant to early in March.

Without a plastic canopy


Ok, I won't. Thanks.

I just finished germing the seeds and put 'em in 3 one gallon and 3 four gallon pots, to see which pot size is the best for this kinda of growing. they'll stay inside with my veggie seedlings. i plan to put the veggies and canna out in mid may, june if the rains or even the snow comes back

I also started the lettuce, cabbage leeks and pepper seedlings cause they take they longest. then in the beginning of april i''ll start the rest (melons, squash, beans ect ...). Maybe that is when i should start the canna? but i hoping to give this sexxing thing a good start.

I don't knows. i'm making it up as i goes.


Chinese cabbage and lettuce sprouts.