What do we really know about infrared detection?

Growing in electric sunshine
A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Shaman to the Gentry

Post by A Bloke Down The Pub »

JapanFreak wrote:Opinion based on?
Knowing things.

You should try it. :tup:

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

Prawn Connery wrote: Hint: Some people have an opinion on everything - whether they have experience or not.
Too many people go on and on and on when they don't know what they are talking about. Have either of you tried to shield your homes? :roflmao:

J.D.
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

Post by J.D. »

A Bloke Down The Pub wrote:For a man who doesn't believe in Global Warming, you worry too much about heat. :winky:

I really can't be arsed to reply to all your points, but there are fairly obvious counters to most of them.

Show me a REAL comparison of the same situation with & without C3 & not just faked-up pictures and I might change my mind.

My opinion? - Snake Oil.
There is another manufacturer for a similar type of infrared blocking material known as Block-IR. You can read the manufacturer’s hype below. If you feel like reading more than one or two lines you can look at the info from http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inve ... t-barriers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and see how these materials are used at times when homes are built. In it you will find where it says basically the same thing as below, that some of these film materials can block up to 97% of infrared heat. In building homes it is usually added to block out heat, like in an attic to keep heat built up through roofs out, and it can lower a cooling bill by between 5 and 10 percent when used in warm, sunny climates.

Interesting. [/b]Created by NASA, blocks up to 97% of heat from passing through and can cut a cooling bill by between 5 and 10 percent. Maybe those kinds of things actually do work if people are paying to have homes built with the stuff included in the building.

I bet that NASA wasted its time and money and the stuff really doesn't work after all.

A revolutionary new security product, Block-IR is made from NASA developed Infra-Red blocking technology. The two outer layers of Block-IR material reduce thermal imaging heat signatures by 97%. Each layer if Block-IR material is bonded to a durable layer of polyurethane for strength. An inner layer of insulation prevents conductive heat flow. An additional layer of polyurethane gives Block-IR high reliability and strength. Completely line any space with Block-IR for a 97% reduction in thermal imaging reduction.

How does your attic feel on sunny summer days? Many people find their attic spaces unlivable on summer days because of soaring temperatures. On a sunny day, solar energy is absorbed by the roof, heating the roof sheathing and causing the underside of the sheathing and the roof framing to radiate heat downward toward the attic floor. A hot attic is not only uncomfortable, it can also conduct heat into the interior space of your home, making the air conditioner work harder and increasing your energy bills.

Hot attics are caused by heat from the sun, also known as radiant heat. Radiant heat is heat that is transmitted from a heat source through space. It is the heat we feel from distant objects like the sun or a fire. Radiant heat is unique because it does not require a medium to travel through (like a pan that feels warm on the outside because of the warm water inside it). Radiant heat is also called infra-red heat or infra-red energy.

Radiant barriers are materials that are installed in buildings to reduce summer heat gain and winter heat loss. They reduce building heating and cooling energy usage. A radiant barrier reflects radiant heat back towards its source, reflecting as much as 97%. Radiant barriers are designed to block the effects of radiant heat gain in homes by reflecting radiant heat rather than absorbing it. They provide substantial energy savings in warm climates. When a radiant barrier is placed on the attic floor, much of the heat radiated from the hot roof is reflected back toward the roof. This keeps the top surface of the insulation cooler than it would have been without a radiant barrier and thus reduces the amount of heat that moves through the insulation into the rooms below the ceiling. Studies have shown that radiant barriers can lower a cooling bill by between 5 and 10 percent when used in warm, sunny climates.

The effects of radiant heat gains can be reduced with the aid of highly reflective surfaces. Traditional forms of insulation absorb radiant heat energy. Radiant barriers reflect it. Reflective barriers usually consist of a thin sheet or coating of a highly reflective material, usually aluminum, applied to one or both sides of a number of substrate materials. Radiant barriers can also reduce indoor heat losses through the ceiling in the winter. However, radiant barriers reduce the amount of energy radiated from the top surface of the insulation, but can also reduce beneficial heat gains in winter due to solar heating of the roof. The net benefits of radiant barriers for reducing winter heat losses are still being studied.

Radiant barriers are made from materials that are excellent at reflecting heat and poor at absorbing it. Radiant barriers work by reducing thermal radiation heat transfer from the roof sheathing to the attic floor, where conventional insulation is usually placed. All materials give off or emit energy by thermal radiation as a result of their temperature. The amount of energy emitted depends on the surface temperature and a property called "emissivity" (also called the "emittance"). Emissivity is the property that determines how well a radiant barrier will perform. A closely related material property is the "reflectivity" (also called the reflectance"). This is the measure of how much energy is reflected and not absorbed by the barrier. Radiant barrier materials must have high reflectivity (90%) and low emissivity (10%) and must face an open air space to perform properly.

Radiant barriers come in various forms, including: reflective foil, reflective paint coatings, and reflective chips. Radiant barriers, which do not provide a significant amount of thermal insulation, can be combined with thermal insulation for increased energy efficiency. They reduce heat gains without the need for increasing wall cavity thickness in order to accommodate bulky insulation.

A roof exposed to the sun for a prolonged period will absorb a great deal of heat, sometimes reaching temperatures in excess of 170° Fahrenheit. Radiant barriers can help prevent overheated attics from warming the interior of a home. Conventional thermal insulation can slow down radiant heat transfer, but will not stop it.

All radiant barriers have at least one reflective (or low emissivity) surface, usually a sheet or coating of aluminum. Some radiant barriers have a reflective surface on both sides. Both types work about equally well, but if a one-sided radiant barrier is used, the reflective surface must face the open air space. For example, if a one-sided radiant barrier is laid on top of the insulation with the reflective side facing down and touching the insulation, the radiant barrier will lose most of its effectiveness in reducing heating and cooling loads.

Dust can seriously impair the performance of a radiant barrier by dulling the reflective surface. This problem is most likely to occur if the barrier is installed on the attic floor with the reflective surface facing up. Instead of the radiant heat being reflected, it would be absorbed.

Radiant barriers also act as a vapor barrier, preventing the passage of moisture. If the barrier is installed on the cold side of the cavity, warm, moist air passing through the cavity will condense on the cold surface.Foil with perforations to allow moisture to pass through is available.

Most types of radiant barriers add another step and cost to the process, which may be viewed negatively by some builders.

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

A Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
JapanFreak wrote:Opinion based on?
Knowing things.

You should try it. :tup:
You don't know shit though do you, all you've done is read something, no first hand knowledge. If you want to believe that without checking shit I think it's silly. Too many people on pot boards just printing shit they barely understand and you end up with your expert ~vs~ theirs. I prefer first hand knowledge over fools like you who are all talk.

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

JapanFreak wrote:If you want to believe that without checking shit I think it's silly.
Good advice for JD. :tup:
Too many people on pot boards just printing shit they barely understand and you end up with your expert ~vs~ theirs. I prefer first hand knowledge over fools like you who are all talk.
Me too. you know anyone with first hand knowledge?
Use your formidable powers of persuasion to get them to spill the beans. :winky:

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

I certainly don't, nor do you, but fuck if you'd know that from the way you two go on about it.

J.D.
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

Post by J.D. »

JapanFreak wrote:Too many people on pot boards just printing shit they barely understand and you end up with your expert ~vs~ theirs. I prefer first hand knowledge over fools like you who are all talk.

Considering that NASA invented the stuff I have to believe they have at least some first hand knowledge of it. Maybe you can email them and get the people who invented the stuff to tell you all about it.

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

J.D. wrote:Considering that NASA invented the stuff I have to believe they have at least some first hand knowledge of it.
They have growrooms at JPL?

Whou'da thunk?

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

J.D. wrote:
JapanFreak wrote:Too many people on pot boards just printing shit they barely understand and you end up with your expert ~vs~ theirs. I prefer first hand knowledge over fools like you who are all talk.

Considering that NASA invented the stuff I have to believe they have at least some first hand knowledge of it. Maybe you can email them and get the people who invented the stuff to tell you all about it.
So that means no then. Ok check. Wait, didn't i read you saying that old nasa data was wrong on something so we should believe the new nasa data? Maybe it was someone else but it struck me as odd.

J.D.
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

Post by J.D. »

JapanFreak wrote:
J.D. wrote:
A Bloke Down The Pub wrote:Me too. you know anyone with first hand knowledge?

So that means no then. Ok check. Wait, didn't i read you saying that old nasa data was wrong on something so we should believe the new nasa data? Maybe it was someone else but it struck me as odd.

You do have a point.

I guess since NASA was one of the places involved in fudging data to make manmade global warming to appear to be real maybe nothing that comes from NASA can be trusted, even if it is used by the military and by builders and by gardeners. Maybe they were all fooled by NASA just like the people who trusted and believed NASA about the myth of manmade global warming.