What do we really know about infrared detection?

Growing in electric sunshine
ganjahype84
some karma
some karma

Post by ganjahype84 »

Infared is usually used for detecting outdoor grows via hellicopter...
It is uncostitutional (illegal) for the authorities to listen-in, look into, or enter your property without "reasonable cause" and a warrent. They can't just drive through a neighborhood scanning houses...
we still have a few civil rights left (for now)

webeblzr
good karma
good karma
Has bestowed Karma : 134 times
Received Karma : 174 times

Post by webeblzr »

[They can't just drive through a neighborhood scanning houses...
we still have a few civil rights left (for now)]

This lady may disagree, and tell you why.
Kick back, roll a phatty and enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjALf12PAWc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've seen her speak at a few places.

HD1
some karma
some karma

Post by HD1 »

[They can't just drive through a neighborhood scanning houses...
we still have a few civil rights left (for now)]

Hi Webelzer,

Man, I don't want to be a dick about this, but the heat can, and does any fucking thing they want, sadly...

These fucks use anything, and anyone that will roll to make a case against a person growing... They may not be able to present this in court, but while surveiling a place, it helps them identify their suspicions... I don't like it no more than anyone else, but the leo's will do anything

I do not want to make anyone paranoid, but these gadgets are becoming less expensive to obtain, and these fucks are using everything they can..

The biggest source for their info., is someone running their mouth..IMHO

Lay Low, and Grow

All the Best, and Stay Safe

HD

hillbilly
some karma
some karma
Custom Title: my custom title

Post by hillbilly »

what about venting though the flue all houses have one and all are used all year around might make heat not so ovious ? just a thought
better to be hated for what u are than liked for what u're not

J.D.
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

Post by J.D. »

You can kill two birds with one stone if you use C3 anti-detection film for your reflective material.

C3 anti-detection film:

A specialized type of Mylar that exhibits the same properties as the 2mm thick Mylar, but in addition to reflecting approximately 92-97% of the light, it also is 90% infrared proof, making your grow room all but invisible to IR scanning. This can also be attached in the same manner as Foylon or Mylar, and the same caution should be used to avoid creating hotspots in your room.

It is illegal in the U.S. but you can find it online. If you live in a different country it is easier to find and purchase.

Venting through the flu was mentioned, and if that was meant as in a furnace or fireplace flu then they are not used year round in some areas but if tapping into some existing source of a vent in your home is an option you can also vent through a toilet stack pipe. Another option is, if you have a bathroom fan that exits your roof you can also tap into it. In both cases it is not abnormal for warm air or warm gases to exit them so unless you have a constant stream of really hot air pouring out it will not stand out at all in a quick heat scan. A real long look or repeated checks at all sorts of different hours things might still look suspicious but a quick look would not raise eyebrows unless the air was very warm.

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Shaman to the Gentry

Post by A Bloke Down The Pub »

J.D. wrote:A specialized type of Mylar that exhibits the same properties as the 2mm thick Mylar, but in addition to reflecting approximately 92-97% of the light, it also is 90% infrared proof,
I don't think that makes much difference. The foil may not transmit the IR, but it's going to get to the same temperature as everything else and [emit plenty of IR of its own.
IR cameras can't "see" through completely opaque materials, but they can see "hot spots" ON an outside surface.
It is illegal in the U.S.
Really? The only reference I can find to it is on MJ boards. :whistle:

J.D.
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

Post by J.D. »

A Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
J.D. wrote:A specialized type of Mylar that exhibits the same properties as the 2mm thick Mylar, but in addition to reflecting approximately 92-97% of the light, it also is 90% infrared proof,
I don't think that makes much difference. The foil may not transmit the IR, but it's going to get to the same temperature as everything else and [emit plenty of IR of its own.
IR cameras can't "see" through completely opaque materials, but they can see "hot spots" ON an outside surface.
It is illegal in the U.S.
Really? The only reference I can find to it is on MJ boards. :whistle:
C3 anti-detection film was originally used by the military as a defense against infrared sensor devices, it’s now being used in the horticultural industry as a reflective film.

When ADF is not used, heat from the lights is absorbed by all objects, including the walls in the room. ADF reflects 90% of the heat so that most of the heat goes out your exhaust fan, thereby reducing the temperature.

As for it being illegal in the U.S., it is. It was deemed to promote or incite the use of illegal or controlled substances. My ex-neighbor used to fly one of the helicopters used to look for outdoor grows and they also would scan homes for heat signatures when they received the OK to do so and he’s who told me it is illegal in the U.S. and being that it was his job to scan like that I did tend to believe him.

If you can locate a place to purchase C3 anti-detection film in the U.S. let me know because in the past when I went looking for it there were sites that came up when I Googled but if in the U.S. they no longer sold it because it had been made illegal.
I don't think that makes much difference.
As for you thinking like that for yourself, I wouldn’t do to much of that, it could get you in a whole lot of trouble someday. Check out the heat signature with a home without C3 and with C3 and see if you "think" there is any difference.
1132636488234-7696.JPG
1132636488234-7696.JPG (8.78 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
1132636527562-9919.JPG
1132636527562-9919.JPG (6.33 KiB) Viewed 2894 times

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

J.D. wrote:As for it being illegal in the U.S., it is. It was deemed to promote or incite the use of illegal or controlled substances.
And that includes home insulation products? Man, you're really living in a police state.
bloke wrote:I don't think that makes much difference.
J.D. wrote:As for you thinking like that for yourself, I wouldn’t do to much of that, it could get you in a whole lot of trouble someday. Check out the heat signature with a home without C3 and with C3 and see if you "think" there is any difference.
1132636488234-7696.JPG
1132636527562-9919.JPG
Yes, I always believe manufacturer's promotional photos. :roflmao:
Take a look at them yourself, and see if you can spot "what's wrong in this picture". :winky:
I'm not denying that it'll have an effect, but so would thicker wallpaper. :roll:

I agree with your point about reflecting some of the heat back into the room and allowing it to be vented, but uness you're running multi-Kw installations, the amount of heat reaching the walls by radiation is minimal. Most of it will be from warm air convection.
You'd get just as good, if not better results from lining the walls with the thin aluminium-backed foam used for insulating the wall behind radiators.
And I'll bet it's cheaper.

J.D.
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

Post by J.D. »

A Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
J.D. wrote:As for it being illegal in the U.S., it is. It was deemed to promote or incite the use of illegal or controlled substances.
And that includes home insulation products? Man, you're really living in a police state.
Nope, it does not include standard types of insulating materials. I never said anything at all like that.
bloke wrote:I don't think that makes much difference.
J.D. wrote:As for you thinking like that for yourself, I wouldn’t do to much of that, it could get you in a whole lot of trouble someday. Check out the heat signature with a home without C3 and with C3 and see if you "think" there is any difference.
1132636488234-7696.JPG
1132636527562-9919.JPG
I'm not denying that it'll have an effect, but so would thicker wallpaper.

Believe what you prefer to believe. I just know that evidently the stuff works well enough at blocking infrared heat sensing that it was made illegal in the U.S. Something tells that that is a bit more efficient than a layer of wallpaper.
I agree with your point about reflecting some of the heat back into the room and allowing it to be vented, but uness you're running multi-Kw installations, the amount of heat reaching the walls by radiation is minimal. Most of it will be from warm air convection.
You'd get just as good, if not better results from lining the walls with the thin aluminium-backed foam used for insulating the wall behind radiators.
And I'll bet it's cheaper.

Your position of the amount of heat reaching a wall being minimal would depend on each different type of setup someone might have. A grow room with good ventilation to the outside located in the center of a basement would not be one where much if any heat would radiate to an outer wall but then someone growing in say a room that has one or two outer walls and little to no outside ventilation or a closet on an outer wall, and in both cases above ground instead of in a basement, would have much more radiant heat passing to and through the outer walls. C3 film would radiate 90% of it back into the room rather than let it pass through and out where it would then show up if scanned.

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

J.D. wrote:Your position of the amount of heat reaching a wall being minimal would depend on each different type of setup someone might have.
Yes, of course, but I suspect in a real-life situation, the temperature difference of the wall with and without C3 would be minimal.

I ask myself "if the product is so good, why do they have to use misleading pictures to advertise it?"