Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: Turbine Powered Toker
Has bestowed Karma : 521 times
Received Karma : 217 times

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop - Grow Residence

Post by WhiteHotAfterburner »

A very important link in my security plan arrived today - something I have put off for too long (I thought I would have replaced the front door by now, not build one like I plan, just replace this one even if it was with another one). I have more than plants or growing equipment here that is my responsibility to protect - even out here in the boonies!

This is the important part of the first line of defense, a good deadbolt.
Security 0001 02022021.jpg
Again, what makes this so important is the Double Cylinder locking mechanism. It is keyed on both the outside of the door and the inside of the door.

A criminal can get in here, pillage and pile up there loot at the door BUT when they try to leave (and I know they haven't noticed up to the point, they're in a hurry and aren't very observant) they can't get out of the door with their attempted ill-gotten goods. They are forced to exit the same way they entered.

For those that do chose to use the same Double Cylinder deadbolt, you MUST leave the key in the deadbolt while you are home and especially when you are sleeping. It is also your only way out.

I only have the one man-door here.

As a side benefit, your keys are ALWAYS at the front door when you go to leave.

I have been using double cylinder deadbolts since the 80's.

The other half of this lever handled doorknob and double cylinder deadbolt set is supposed to be here sometime tonight, so the tracking site says.

I will install this part of it as soon as I get done with the cloning machine. There currently is no deadbolt hole in the door. I know I have a doorknob/deadbolt installation kit. I am not sure it's here :facepalm: :roflmao:, I do think it is...

Be safe, folks!,
WHAB

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow Resid

Post by bentech »

yes back id my eyes on the attic growroom and
my plan was to gusset the shit out of it as i cut out stringers and made good the stresses with gussets as far as i could see

ran it by a good framer and he said the stresses as distributed wtih a truss couldnt be so easily replaced

got me thinking

but that was a truss roof

your dealing with joists and rafters
and the basic stabilizers they used at the time

i think thats and easier refab than a truss roof, but

i dont know...

will take a close look at your drawing later and tell you what i think
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by bentech »

WhiteHotAfterburner wrote:
West Side Rafter Lands 0001 20210201.jpg

WHAB

this is an odd detail,
never seen any bracing running so close to a rafters pitch

but, ive only run into a handful of structures build before 1915 here in southern california

i think the best suggestion would be for you to increase your gussets sizes conciderable

when i said 6 to 8 screws i was refering to the number o screws youd get through the gusset into each framing members your trying to tie together

ie, you want the gusset to lap over each board your secrewing it to at least 8 inches
will give you the space to run in 2 rows of screws on 2inch centers...
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by bentech »

but shit,
were it me

id spend a bill or two running it past a framing engineer

hate to make a mistake and trash a valuable structure with your best intentions...
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

bentech wrote:
WhiteHotAfterburner wrote:
The attachment West Side Rafter Lands 0001 20210201.jpg is no longer available

WHAB

this is an odd detail,
never seen any bracing running so close to a rafters pitch

but, ive only run into a handful of structures build before 1915 here in southern california

i think the best suggestion would be for you to increase your gussets sizes conciderable

when i said 6 to 8 screws i was refering to the number o screws youd get through the gusset into each framing members your trying to tie together

ie, you want the gusset to lap over each board your secrewing it to at least 8 inches
will give you the space to run in 2 rows of screws on 2inch centers...
Hey Ben!

All that you see there, save for the ceiling rafters and the near end of the "crook rafter" is all exterior of the double stack brick wall.

See if this helps. I've labeled the items on the double stack brick wall and what is exterior of it that is difficult to tell from the pictures without seeing the exterior pictures.
West Side Rafter Lands 0001A 20210201.jpg
Here I've translated those details to the exterior of the building.
Exterior Rafter Details 0001 02030201.jpg
All that on the inside is ALL just to hang the eaves off of. All of the rafters land on that 2x6 on top of the outter stack of bricks.

I hear ya on the screw the crap out of large gussets.

I'm thinking IF I build entirely new (added) roof trusses, I can land them exactly how they were landed almost 100 years ago and not risk the integrity of structure at all. In a few instances, where possible, using the existing ceiling joists and adding to them - rafters, tie beams, angled braces. Gluing and gusseting all of them, too.

I'd be adding new, improved, better built roof trusses. I won't know how many I will build new until I get to doing at least one and see how that goes. I am familiar, I'm not intimately familiar :winky:

Then, after that is done, I could beef up the existing roof trusses with tie beams, and angled braces and heavily screwed glued and screwed gussets - then cut out those virtually useless vertical supports (many of which are weakened or rotted now).

I do appreciate your time here, Ben!

:rollitiup:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow

WHAB for the save! :toker1:

IF you all are not familiar with GluBot's, this is who makes them and sells them and licenses other woodworking sites that sell them as well.
glubot-family.png
https://www.fastcap.com/product/glubot-family" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are quite handy, the website goes into the hows and the whys.

I have the 16 oz GluBot.

Mine has been in storage since December 2019. With glue in it.

I wasn't sure I could save it, and like I said, it wasn't that big of a deal. But, I thought I'd give it a go.

Getting all that was still liquefied to drain out.
GluBot 0002 02032021.jpg
Then I thought I'd give it a heat assist.
GluBot 0003 02032021.jpg
Then I let it soak with water in it for a couple of days. And then coaxing it out, digging it out and scrubbing it out.
GluBot 0004 02032021.jpg
A small win is STILL a win! :woohoo: :grin:

AND, IF you're into tools and gadgets - trick hardware items, time saving tools and devices, digit saving gadgets (one is called the 10 Million Dollar Stick :laugh: Then the 11th Finger (for ANYONE who operates a Table Saw)) and doodads - FastCap is the place for you. They handle some pretty neat items.

One of the best things about them is they get their product ideas from the creators. They work with the creators to bring those items to market. See Izzy Swan. I watched one of his ideas from start to sales on FastCap.

Check them out, IF you're of a mind to!

***Stay away from their Kaizen items, we'd been shadow boxing tools in foam decades before Fast Cap was a dream. It was a job requirement, especially to work on Government contracts. Find a source for Closed Cell Foam and save yourself a fortune! :winky:*

https://www.fastcap.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:rollitiup:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Then, I did make some headway on the Cloning Machine, and it contents that are critical going forward.

I found the bottom of it :roflmao:
Cloning Machine Cleaning 0005 02032021.jpg
Cloning Machine Cleaning 0005 02032021.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 910 times
One of the items in it was a Whisper 30-60 air pump. It is working. I know I drilled and grommeted 2 holes through the side of the tank for it, but I don't recall using it. That pump whips up the water enough, I don't think 'now' how air stones would improve that aeration.

***It just hit me right before I hit the "Post It" button :wink:. The air stones was a 1st iteration. The water pump and manifold with spray nozzles was an 'improvement' because the stones weren't working out as well as I thought it should have been. And, to be honest, it may have been someone else's idea. It worked a treat after that!***

Then, the two Pro Pump Model 275 submersible water pumps. One for the Cloning Machine.
Pumps 0001A 02022021.jpg
The other for the C.A.P. Ebb&Gro Bucket System.
Pumps 0002A 02022021.jpg
Then, testing the Cloning Machine Manifold and Spray Nozzles.
Cloning Machine Nozzles 0001 02022021.jpg
Cloning Machine Nozzles 0002 02022021.jpg
All but 2 are working perfectly. There are extra spray nozzles in the plastic bag in the cloning machine in that first picture.

Speaking of "extras", I'll probably try, over the next 2+ months, to get backup systems at the ready IN CASE.

Also, one thing I am reminded of while messing with the cloner is that it tended to leak, spray hitting the lid and then dripping down the outside of the tank. I see I did add a weatherstrip to the underside of the lid. I remember that did slow it down but didn't stop it.

I have an idea to remedy that. I'm going back out later today. I'll try and get some angle iron, aluminum or stainless steel and I'll attach it close to the top edge of the tank and put a Bulb Seal on it. That should do the trick. It did in my Thought Process Machine :winky:

I will take the tank outside when I get back and clean it out good!

Oh, speaking of extras. I see even C.A.P. has switched to Black buckets. I understand why. I understood why back when I was growing. IF I can, I'll try and replace them with black buckets - possibly building my own.

Good morning, folks!

Time for a :volcano:.

:tup:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

bentech wrote:but shit,
were it me

id spend a bill or two running it past a framing engineer

hate to make a mistake and trash a valuable structure with your best intentions...
I had a thought ever since I read your words above.

Two things: I'm all about over-engineering. And, I would never do anything that would do damage to this building.

I mentioned I moved back MO recently.

Here is where I was living, with an old long-term girlfriend, who I love.
Front View Image 2 07072020.jpg
036ece62eaef97dc617eb8cd1568cec4l-m4234809623xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
See this on the right?
036ece62eaef97dc617eb8cd1568cec4l-m3575070242xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
Then on the left?
036ece62eaef97dc617eb8cd1568cec4l-m3165473252xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
It's this...

https://https://www.safesteptub.com/sho ... tub-combo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A $10,000 top-of-the-line Walk-In Tub Shower with ALL the bells and whistles that my body 'aches' for :winky: in a 10 year old home.

A great gal, all things considered. We were talking about getting married. I told her to pick out a ring. I was planning an Autumn trip, without her knowing about it. She loves the Autumn colors, as most females do :winky:

Proof of my Texas occupancy...
Texas 0004 02032021.jpg
Texas 0002 02032021.jpg
Texas 0003 02032021.jpg
^ ^ ^ My trailer. My tools in..
Texas 0001 02032021.jpg
...my Texas garage.

I left it to come back to this place, a long neglected nearly 100 year old schoolhouse.

I only mention the above as a way of expressing how much I really like this place and wouldn't do anything to do harm to it.

Anyway, it got me thinking. The loft is supported by 5 4x4's. 3 4x4's on the partition wall in the pictures.

This is one, the bottom portion...
Loft Support 0001 20210203.jpg
The upper portion of that same 4x4...
Loft Support 0002 20210203.jpg
There are 2 others just like it.

I can, and now that you mention it, will extend them to the ceiling and even build a header to fully support at least the first 10 feet of the ceiling joists (so, the first 5 ceiling joists, roof trusses), from the North wall to the South. I have to build a wall on the loft anyway, to comply with the state requirement it be walled off with a locked door.

***Which is where I was in the hours after your post. FaceBook messaging with her. She's still wanting me to move back, 5 months after I returned here***

She had a blow-up about me not wanting to listen to her "insurance" idea about those driving monitors. I told her I didn't care to hear about MORE Government intrusion. She lost it.

The reason I came back to this old building I really like over a future with a girl I do love in a beautiful home?

Peace. I find peace here, Ben. I wouldn't allow it to come crashing down on my head.

I didn't have another day of Peace for my remaining time there.

I'm at Peace here,
WHAB

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1317 times
Received Karma : 921 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

bentech wrote:so, being in southern california,
we have sizeable earthquake requirement

which is why this is a common product as opposed to where your at
Here in Michigan we must just have some kind of minimal bracing requirement.
Typically 1/2" osb is used....1/2" cdx on the higher end homes.
I think the closest thing I'd find with regularity here would be 3/4" subfloor plywood.

I follow probably 30 different y/t channels because they are building/renovating, in a wide range of places...and it is quite interesting, the differences in codes and techniques. :)

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1317 times
Received Karma : 921 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

WhiteHotAfterburner wrote:Do you have an opinion on sandwiching the rafters and truss supports that I add together between 2 gussets made of the non-Strucc 1 plywood like below glued in place and with say 1/4 inch thru-bolts (symmetrical both sides)?
Flower Room 0006 02012021.jpg
Remember, there will be a thickness difference between the original rough cut lumber and any newer lumber you use. If you can find some old rough cut to use for the new pieces, that could eliminate that problem...might even be able to find that cheaper than lumber yards.

If the rafters and joists do not line up vertically, how are you going to be able to do the vertical wall stud portion?