Preflowers

The place to throw about unorthodox ideas related to gardening.
jesus

Preflowers

Post by jesus »

What are they for?

Ask a site like this. Or ask Google. The latter just leads back to sites like this where the answer is inevitably "they tell you the sex of the plant."

Well ya thats what they tell me. But I doubt that is the reason they evolved.

What do they tell the plant?

What happens when those flowers are pollinated? Do preflowers tell the plant if there is pollen about and to speed up flowering?

I'll have to look deeper and see if any research has been done. Meanwhile I plan on trying it within the next few months. Dont have a male yet. Another question to be answered later is whether or not over successive generations can you breed a super fast flowering plant by repetitive use of preflowers from both plants.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or know of any research out there about it?

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 930 times

Preflowers

Post by Butcher Bob »

Well they'll both work fer pollination. And genetic coding records environmental experience for use by future generations. So it's feasible to effect the genetics...question is, wut will that effect be?

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Preflowers

Post by bentech »

does the plant offer a different set of genes up for polination in preflower,
than it does later in mature flower development...
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

twilson
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: nOT-a-Bob
Received Karma : 1 time

Preflowers

Post by twilson »

Butcher Bob wrote:Well they'll both work fer pollination. And genetic coding records environmental experience for use by future generations. So it's feasible to effect the genetics...question is, wut will that effect be?
The info I saw on PBS about epigenetics shows that external environmental factors can have a genetic impact or organisms much faster than we ever thought. As little as one generation.
If Muley can scruff along i can too.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 930 times

Preflowers

Post by Butcher Bob »

bentech wrote:does the plant offer a different set of genes up for polination in preflower,
Yes. It would be lacking all the recorded environmental information that would come later.
twilson wrote:
Butcher Bob wrote:Well they'll both work fer pollination. And genetic coding records environmental experience for use by future generations. So it's feasible to effect the genetics...question is, wut will that effect be?
The info I saw on PBS about epigenetics shows that external environmental factors can have a genetic impact or organisms much faster than we ever thought. As little as one generation.
Everything I've seen indicates first generation effects to be rare, while second generation effects are very common.

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT
Has bestowed Karma : 15 times
Received Karma : 231 times

Preflowers

Post by MadMoonMan »

They pop out first to test the world see what the environment is.

Sniff Sniff Sniff

First pre-flowers are indications of the plants sex

Which can change if the gopher is eaten by a cat or the groundhog is afraid of his shadow

Does that explain it?

The pre flower is the first indication of what sex the plant will be.
Just because I can't spell misanthrope doesn't mean I'm completely stupid.

twilson
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: nOT-a-Bob
Received Karma : 1 time

Preflowers

Post by twilson »

Butcher Bob wrote:
bentech wrote:does the plant offer a different set of genes up for polination in preflower,
Yes. It would be lacking all the recorded environmental information that would come later.
twilson wrote:
Everything I've seen indicates first generation effects to be rare, while second generation effects are very common.
Could be. It's been a while since i saw that program on PBS. Nevertheless the point of epigenetics is that genetic modifications can happen much faster than originally thought.
If Muley can scruff along i can too.

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 71 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Preflowers

Post by Jesús Malverde »

Those are good questions and I don't know the answers but I've had plants where only the preflowers got pollinated and the seeds are huge like the size of minor planets. I'm sure I grew them out but never kept track.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

Preflowers

Post by deran »

there is no such thing as preflowers

as there is no thing like pre-hair

i dont know who coined that term preflower, its missleading and wrong ... similiar to pregnancys, either you are or you are not, and just because its the first flower to see doesnt makes it special nor different, its just the first one, not more not less

and yes, as soon they get pollinated the plant has accomplished its meaning of life, will produce a few seeds and die

on a side note regarding 1st generation epigentical influences .... grow carrots and see for yourself how big the differences are between f1 and f2 , compared to cannabis f1 and f2 ;)
awoken the right way

jesus

Preflowers

Post by jesus »

deran wrote:there is no such thing as preflowers

as there is no thing like pre-hair

i dont know who coined that term preflower, its missleading and wrong ... similiar to pregnancys, either you are or you are not, and just because its the first flower to see doesnt makes it special nor different, its just the first one, not more not less

and yes, as soon they get pollinated the plant has accomplished its meaning of life, will produce a few seeds and die

on a side note regarding 1st generation epigentical influences .... grow carrots and see for yourself how big the differences are between f1 and f2 , compared to cannabis f1 and f2 ;)
To me they are different because they grow separate from the rest of the flowers. All the other flowers grow out of flowering branches, preflowers tend to appear right below that branch directly out of a more main stem.