LED Lights

The place to throw about unorthodox ideas related to gardening.
anu
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Has bestowed Karma : 4 times
Received Karma : 16 times

power LED's with the new fabric your wearing

Post by anu »

Innovator
David Carroll Turns Fabric Into an Energy Source
By Drake Bennett on March 22, 2012 Tweet
Facebook
LinkedIn
Google Plus
3 Comments Email
Print
Related
Story
Garbage Fashion: T-Shirts Made From Recycled BottlesVideo
Toss the Computer, Dead Battery BluesVideo
Apple’s iPad Heats Up to 116 DegreesStory
Boston's 'Innovation District' Eagerly Awaits More InnovatorsStory Buy a DIY Brain Supercharger for $100 The women in David Carroll’s life are big talkers, and that takes a toll on his cell phone battery. “My wife likes to call me, and she does take her time when she tells her stories,” he says. “You can watch the power meter just go down.” Carroll, a physicist and head of Wake Forest University’s Center for Nanotechnology and Molecular Materials, was discussing this problem last year with his 10-year-old daughter, Lauren, when she came up with a suggestion: What if Carroll could design something that harnessed the heat from someone’s hand, or from the phone itself, to give a cell phone battery more power? Carroll agreed that would be pretty cool.

Last month, Carroll’s lab unveiled a fabric that does just that. Called Power Felt, it generates electricity from heat. Wrap your cell phone in Power Felt, and it feeds off your body heat to recharge while it’s in your pocket. Carroll is a lifelong Southerner—he’s descended from some of North Carolina’s first white settlers, and his family donated some of the land that Wake Forest sits on—and he’s acutely aware of how powerful summer heat can be. He says Power Felt installed just under the roof of a house could be used to power household appliances. Lay it on the floor of a car and it could use the heat generated from sitting in a midday parking lot to run air conditioning and the radio. In an electric or a hybrid car, the Power Felt might even boost mileage.

The challenge for his team, says Carroll, was to create something that was electrically conductive—the way metal is—and thermally insulating—the way cloth can be. The solution was to imprint carbon nanotubes onto a woven mat of plastic fibers. Since it takes relatively few carbon nanotubes to give the fabric thermoelectric properties, the cost is reasonable. Carroll estimates that, at a large scale, Power Felt could be fabricated for as little as a dollar for a swatch big enough to cover a cell phone.

Carroll says he is in talks with more than 20 potential investors and collaborators—the defense and aerospace company Thales among them. Carl Batt, co-founder of Cornell University’s Nanobiotechnology Center, calls Carroll’s felt “an interesting approach” to generating power. “It’s a relatively untapped field.”

Fabrics have been one area in which the sometimes hyperbolic claims made for nanotechnology are being borne out. Engineers have been able to use nanopores and nanowhiskers—tiny holes and strands as thin as a single molecule—to make fabrics that kill bacteria and protect against hazardous chemicals.

Carroll believes Power Felt could fuel sensors worn on the body, perhaps embedded in clothing, that would allow doctors to keep track of patients’ health remotely. And wrapping consumer electronics in Power Felt, Carroll notes, is far cheaper than upgrading their batteries. “While I’ve been talking to you, the back of my phone has gotten hot,” he says. “Our $1 piece of fabric would give you the same amount of boost as a $50 battery would
The notion of collective ownership implies a democratic approach to the utilization of resources - economic democracy.

jesus

LED Lights

Post by jesus »

I'm currently planning a new LED light. This time made up primarily of white LED's, both warm and cool white. The last light I built works pretty well. This new one will be 40 LED s 20 warm, 20 cool, and the output will be about 35k lumens, pretty equivalent to a 400w HPS at 40k. They both will use about 400w pg power though. The main difference will be in the spectrum. The LEDs I think, even the white, will have a lot more PAR watts. I might have to enhance the spectrum wit a few 660nm 10W LEDs (these put out 4x the light watts as the 5W LEDs of my last light, so mad) because the spectrum falls off in that area with the whites.

Any ideas or suggestions?

jesus

LED Lights

Post by jesus »

[image]http://www.newark.com/productimages/nio ... 440-30.jpg[/image]

The cree cxa1507. Output is 938 lumens cool white (5000k) and 815 lumens for warm white (3000k). They run at just over 7W each.

Packed edge to edge, 40 of them will fir in a 4"x5" space.They cost about $5 ea.

Driving them is going to be a pain.

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

LED Lights

Post by deran »

400W hps r 58000 lumens xesus , 35000 are just shy 60 %
awoken the right way

jesus

LED Lights

Post by jesus »

Oh, when i googled it first answer I came across was 40k.

jesus

LED Lights

Post by jesus »

Ok now I got quite a few results at 50k lumens, more if you use a super hps.

I can add a few more LEDs.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1751 times
Received Karma : 1535 times

LED Lights

Post by Intrinsic »

jesus H Christ! this sounds cool. wanna to hear and see more on yer hardware as you move along.

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

LED Lights

Post by deran »

ya know jesus - mess with the best - die like the rest :D

in terms of lumens ^^

you can name them as you like; im pragmatic for such things ... blowin 400 W an hour through a bulb, it has to perform best with lumens; learned it the hard way

had some cheapo hps bulbs once ( 2 for the price of 1 greenpower) and plants didnt wanted to peprform as i was used to; things changed radically when i switched back to the greepower bulb; i dont know - its my personal "standard" bulb , all other bulbs need to compete with it and to proof if they are better; still didnt came across a dignified replacement
awoken the right way

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 70 times
Received Karma : 131 times

LED Lights

Post by Jesús Malverde »

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/52 ... iv+Blog%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

LED Lights

Post by bentech »

good article malverde

its seems that determining which led's combinations is correct and proper for a specific plants grow needs a rocket scientist ability to feret out

the marketting of unit commercially available are certainly of no use other than faith

i would build one
had i any clue as to what lights i should be assembling
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com