Old seed starting experiment

The place to throw about unorthodox ideas related to gardening.
Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 411 times
Received Karma : 507 times

Post by Prawn Connery »

Those studies were done on 20-year-old seeds? If not, why are you looking at experiments on fresh seeds that were not starch deficient in the first place?

Just over a minute into this video is an explanation. Snake oil or not is up to you to decide. You'll note that I did not suggest using sugar until it was pointed out that the seeds were germinating but the tap roots were not emerging properly. So sugar did not interfere with the uptake of water by the seeds (which is one of the reasons referred to in your studies why sugar can be detrimental to fresh seeds).

She has nothing to lose by trying if all other methods fail.

Licensed to Krill

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1310 times
Received Karma : 917 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

Prawn Connery wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:38 am
Those studies were done on 20-year-old seeds? If not, why are you looking at experiments on fresh seeds that were not starch deficient in the first place?

Just over a minute into this video is an explanation.
I understand the proposition...more explanation of it doesn't support it. :p
It is supporting data I'm looking for. I didn't google to try to prove it wrong...I was trying to find studies that support the theory, because this would be a simple tool for folks to have. But I did not find supporting data, which is my point...not, that I have proven anything wrong.
She has nothing to lose by trying if all other methods fail.
Indeed. :)

Like with many things we've learned over the years, leave it to us potheads to test and find out for sure. :smoke:

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma
Custom Title: my custom title
Has bestowed Karma : 36 times
Received Karma : 63 times

Post by Hippiechik »

I want to thank you guys for the interesting discussion. It’s been very informative and helpful.

So far there’s been no change.

I’m really concerned about fungus. I have a little mister bottle that I put a 10% h2o2 (3%) mix in, hopefully spritzing it will help prevent fungus from destroying the seeds before they can germinate.

I also suspect that my hydroponics rack is a bit too cool for this project, but I don’t have a germination mat. I think maybe the next best option would be to put everything in the growroom under the 600w led and see maybe if that helps. I could try either of the 1ks too, I think my spider farmer light has infrared and that would certainly help raise the temperature.

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

My biggest fears have been realized: fungus is among us. At least one set of seeds has been colonized by white fluffy mold. I think it actually originated from the paper towels.

So….it’s not looking good.

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

My fears were realized, at least one bag of seeds are contaminated with fungus. I think it came from the paper towels.
4FA5C321-DDAB-421B-970B-3D42150BF6EA.jpeg
None of the seeds appear to have split open, either.

Can I dip them in a h2o2 wash to kill the mold? I’m thinking about using deli cups and sterile gauze instead of these paper towels and ziplock bags.

I really hate to ruin these, but I don’t know what to do.

I am still considering buying that microclone kit, but that’s also a fair amount of money to gamble on this project.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Post by Butcher Bob »

Hippiechik wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:02 pm
My fears were realized, at least one bag of seeds are contaminated with fungus. I think it came from the paper towels.

Can I dip them in a h2o2 wash to kill the mold?
:confused: Hmm...you seemed to have that aspect pretty well covered...
Hippiechik wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:51 am
...four 50ml portions and dumped each one into a separate cup.
Into each cup I also added about a quarter teaspoon of 3% H2O2.
Hippiechik wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:11 pm
All the seeds have sunk, so it’s on to the next step: germination

I used a spoon to carefully remove the seeds, and put them in a glass of room temperature fresh water and gently stirred them up.

I then placed all three seeds of each cross (12 total) on top of a paper towel that had been folded into quarters and placed in a quart ziplock bag and moistened with a teaspoon of peroxide in 16 ounces of water...
Hippiechik wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:19 am
I have a little mister bottle that I put a 10% h2o2 (3%) mix in, hopefully spritzing it will help prevent fungus from destroying the seeds before they can germinate.
Can you test a spritz of h2o2/water on the mold to see if that kills it?...just a thought. :dunno:

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

Butcher Bob wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:33 pm
I understand the proposition...more explanation of it doesn't support it. :p
It is supporting data I'm looking for. I didn't google to try to prove it wrong...I was trying to find studies that support the theory, because this would be a simple tool for folks to have. But I did not find supporting data, which is my point...not, that I have proven anything wrong.
I did provide some supporting evidence, but if you put more credence into school-kid experiments (two of which you linked above), then I guess it's up to you to choose your own course of action.

Sometimes you just have to do these things and find out for yourself. For some people, I think that's the only way to prove anything.
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

Hippiechik wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:02 pm

4FA5C321-DDAB-421B-970B-3D42150BF6EA.jpeg

None of the seeds appear to have split open, either.

Can I dip them in a h2o2 wash to kill the mold? I’m thinking about using deli cups and sterile gauze instead of these paper towels and ziplock bags.

I really hate to ruin these, but I don’t know what to do.

I am still considering buying that microclone kit, but that’s also a fair amount of money to gamble on this project.
Mold spores are everywhere in the air – that's where they come from. The idea behind soaking in H2O2 solution in the shot glass, as well as adding it to the paper towel, is to reduce the incidence of mold. You can also prevent it by drying the paper towel out and then rewetting it in cycles instead of leaving the paper towel in an air-tight container, which is not something I suggest – it was never in my instructions to put the paper towel in a zip-lock bag (I put mine on a plate), but then I didn't tell you not to do it, either. Sorry about that.

Sealed containers will harbour mold spores that will germinate if the H2O2 hasn't killed them all, or is used up before it kills them all.

If the seeds haven't split, they may not be viable. Warmth will help, but if you have tried everything already (cleaned, soaked, placed in warm paper towel) then your seeds may not be viable at all. And that is likely a storage issue. When I say I have germinate 20-year-old seeds, those seeds have been in my fridge at 2-4C all this time.
Licensed to Krill

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Post by Butcher Bob »

Prawn Connery wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:18 am
Butcher Bob wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:33 pm
It is supporting data I'm looking for.
I did provide some supporting evidence...
No you didn't. :p I went back over both threads, rewatched the video...you've provided a theory with a description and demonstration of how the process would be performed...but no data to actually support the claim. Which is my point, that while I googled to find that support, instead all I found were studies that would suggest the opposite were true. :dunno:
I find just as logical arguments against...
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=1346
...so, I'm going to need some actual data.

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

I noticed that only one batch of seeds is contaminated so far, which is encouraging. However, I don’t have a lot of hope at this point. I’m going to plant some of my remaining seeds outside and hope for the best.

My other batch of seeds are off and running now- 10 out of 11 so far, but I haven’t given up on the straggler yet.