Diatomaceous Earth Warzone ; Protect your veg

The place to throw about unorthodox ideas related to gardening.
mistergrafik

Post by mistergrafik »

Oh hey there -

I sneezed this morning and a cloud of Diatomaceous Earth came out of my face and I thought... I should make a thread about this shit! I use it like a religion. Most of you are probably familiar with DE. But I make this like you don't know and also I will share how I use it in particular.

1) A graveyard of Diatomaceous Earth goes into my soil. Not much - by a graveyard I mean just a top coating into initial mixing. Thin enough to see some soil through. I mix it in really well as it acts as soil conditioner and also I notice roots like it a lot. I only mix a small amount into the initial blend because throughout the life of the container I will add it to the top soil every so often. When DE settles in it will create a mucky crust that may seem non-beneficial but it actually makes watering much more even and the drainage will be just as good; only slower.

2) I drop a Diatomaceous Earth bomb once a month on my plants. Cover them bitches like they have a bad habit. If I see bugs it will increase in frequency. Shaking off the residual and sweeping it into cracks and crevices around my veg. If it's low humidity and hot let's make it really low humidity so the bugs die. Higher humidity DE won't be as effective and may clump. I let this stand for a few days and then I will brush the leaves like the ladies are getting their nails done. A lot of work? Sure. But have you won a war against the borg?
Death-To-Spider-Mites.jpg
What is Diatomaceous Earth? Here's from Wiki:

Diatomaceous earth, diatomite or kieselgur/kieselguhr is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that has been crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. It has a particle size ranging from less than 3 μm to more than 1 mm, but typically 10 to 200 μm. Depending on the granularity, this powder can have an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and has a low density as a result of its high porosity. The typical chemical composition of oven-dried diatomaceous earth is 80–90% silica, with 2–4% alumina (attributed mostly to clay minerals) and 0.5–2% iron oxide.

Yes would you look at that - Nutritiously viscous! Most of the bigger soil companies that have 'wetting agents' are actually utilizing the magic of DE. Wait? So you mean Promix HP (high posterity) has DE? I have no clue lol.

It's great stuff for the plants nutritious wise, water wise and It's like pests have to mosh through a pit of skulls and bones!

Lot's of people think it looks funny and that my plants are infected but it's quite the opposite - especially after you give the ladies a nice spray down; the DE will leave what looks like PM or really hard water spots. But that's why they make fine horse hair paint brushes! After it dries to a dust you can brush it right off; leaving a thin layer of dust that 'possibly' shields the plant.
IMG-9414.jpg
IMG-9415.jpg
IMG-9416.jpg
Mind you - DE isn't an instant kill. Nor a guaranteed one... It does take some skill but regardless if you use it technically or just chuck it all over it lets the pests know you're always ready to wipe their bloodline :twisted:

Maybe wear a mask - so you don't have to sneeze it like me

Hopefull Stoner
good karma
good karma
Custom Title: Stoned Cold Bulldog
Has bestowed Karma : 12 times
Received Karma : 174 times

Post by Hopefull Stoner »

only useful for antropods/segmernted insects. doesn't do shit in moist/wet soil period targeted insects must come in contact with ot while dry and it is not instant kill. it will tale a couple days.
Stoned Cold Bulldog in the flesh. peace power and luv to all comrades and old friends. :gadday: :toker1: :tokie:

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Post by rSin »

when food grade its a phenomenal dietary suppliment...
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Roots

Post by Roots »

It’s my go to for earwigs, but that’s about it.

Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore
Custom Title: spliff ninja
Has bestowed Karma : 442 times
Received Karma : 319 times

Post by Mister Grafik »

Hopefull Stoner wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:23 pm
only useful for antropods/segmernted insects. doesn't do shit in moist/wet soil period targeted insects must come in contact with ot while dry and it is not instant kill. it will tale a couple days.
Yes sir. That is accurate. Toward the end of the posting there I mention it a bit. Pests must walk over, mess with or get covered in the Diatamaceous powder for it to 'kill'. However It is non-discrimnatory. So many things will not touch it. Thanks for that
rSin wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:14 pm
when food grade its a phenomenal dietary suppliment...
There is a few different kinds, I always try to get the premium food grade. Never have I tried to incorporate it into the breakfast of champs though... Might give this a go someday soon..

Thanks for that reminder SIn. It's supposed to be pretty good for cleansing ~
Roots wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:54 am
It’s my go to for earwigs, but that’s about it.
Earwigs... Even the name itself bothers me. I agree the Diatamacious isn't highly effective against a broad spectrum of pest. More so just worked in as a warning shot. Does a good job keeping things at bay in my opinion..

My main IPM is cleaning. Other than that I leave it up to some baby lacewings. Fucking savage. They pierce their prey and suck the life out of them. Sometimes they will gather dust/debris/dead victims on their back and use it as disguise. Like a Ghillie Suit....

Here is a lacewing treking through some Diatamaceous.
Lacewing---01.jpg
.: the underdog is my dawg :.

Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

Post by Mister Grafik »

another lacewing nymph
Lacewing-02.jpg

webeblzr
good karma
good karma
Has bestowed Karma : 134 times

Post by webeblzr »

In an old turkey baster, I fill the bulb, pop tube back on, to goosh it up under the leaves, more than top dress myself.
After I mix my medium up on a trap, I then fill dedicated trash cans to sore it. Before the lid is snap on, a cup or 2 covers the top, for the month long resting period.
Like dressing for the cold, bug fighting works best with multiple sources, I use Neem Meal, in my mix. Tangle Trap, is spread on waste yellow/blue card board, as sticky traps. I never do outdoor gardening ten run into my grow area. I have a very strong UV light, once a month I walk my path ways, and sanitize with light. Mosquito Bits are in all teas, water buckets, in tea strainer balls.
Probably some other shit I do, but don't remember.

webeblzr
good karma
good karma
Has bestowed Karma : 134 times

Post by webeblzr »

I have 2 summer savory herb plants, I want to try and over winter them in my basement. I brought them in and saw webs, so I isolated them, then with turkey baster, puffed dio all over them, highlighting the webs, and all around the base of the pots, and in the 12 gallon saucer that I work them in. I'll do this for a few days, then do a bug killer dunk for the root critters, then a repot, wait and see if they make it, or seed out either is ok.

Mister Grafik
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

Post by Mister Grafik »

webeblzr wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:12 am
I have 2 summer savory herb plants, I want to try and over winter them in my basement. I brought them in and saw webs, so I isolated them, then with turkey baster, puffed dio all over them, highlighting the webs, and all around the base of the pots, and in the 12 gallon saucer that I work them in. I'll do this for a few days, then do a bug killer dunk for the root critters, then a repot, wait and see if they make it, or seed out either is ok.
Like James Bond when he sprays that perfume to expose all the laser beams. Or maybe that was a different movie ..
It's crazy sometimes when there are so many webs you didn't notice!

Either way very nice. I need to restock on some DE thanks for reminding me blzr

ben ttech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: godisnotwhite.com
Has bestowed Karma : 389 times
Received Karma : 240 times

Post by ben ttech »

webeblzr wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:40 pm
I never do outdoor gardening then run into my grow area.
and essential habit!
"disaster is the mother of necessity" rSin