A damsel in distress. Plural of Mongoose Update.

Rant and Rave about The Canna Trade.
AGD
good karma
good karma
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT
Has bestowed Karma : 1 time
Received Karma : 1 time

Post by AGD »

I can write a perfect soundtrack for that movie...

:band:

DD Ramone
good karma
good karma
Has bestowed Karma : 2 times
Received Karma : 2 times

Post by DD Ramone »

Already DPR's/Ulbricht's case has been done and dusted back in 2013, and with it a whole lot of evidence, facts around the case have been proven in a US court beyond all reasonable doubt and Ulbricht was found to be guilty by a jury.

So all of the investigative work has already been done and I'm sure that whatever jury PoM gets will be fully aware of this, and informed of it in the courtroom, along with the verdict of the Ulbricht case - life without the possibility of parole, so will it just be a re-run of most of the SR case against Ulbricht with the added proof/evidence that PoM was indeed involved up to his ear-holes? Or will PoM be able to put up some at least faintly credible defense in the hope of getting off on a technicality, or as a very long shot coming out of it smelling of begonias?

As smokes says, at this stage its all supposition to predict the outcome, since crazy things do happen in trials, very occasionally the guilty are found innocent and vice-versa, but I seriously doubt this will happen in PoM's case because it looks like the feds case is air-tight from where I sit. But the again what do I know?
smokebreaks wrote:It’s all a bit of a wait and see at this point.

Right now, everything so far, even as the SDNY acknowledges via their press releases, these charges, include a line that reads until proven, everything suggested is simply an allegation.

Now my best guess, and that is only a guess, we’re probably somewhere around a year away from anything definitive occurring within the courts.

I base that on the speed at which the Malware Bytes guy’s case is moving through the US judicial system.

You may recall he stopped that wannacry virii and as his reward he got picked up on his way home after DEFCON last year. Well the conference just ended for this year, and I heard he was still living here in the US learning how to surf while out on bail.
DD Ramone, picks his bass to the bone, he's a BLITZKRIEG BOPPER !

dill786
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: memento mori
Has bestowed Karma : 955 times
Received Karma : 745 times

Post by dill786 »

POM should be played by Steve Buscemi

he got the pom look
Kuchisabishii

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Post by bentech »

does Ulbricht's have any appeal grounds worth mentioning?
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

AGD
good karma
good karma

Post by AGD »

Here PoM talks about his jailtime:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11022&start=315#p144500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The UK bust and my incarceration was over, obviously, by the time I moved to Thailand, just under 3 1/2 years ago. The point was that I was incarcerated at the time the Silk Road website rolled out, not that I was incarcerated at the time it was busted over two years later. :facepalm:
So he says, his jailtime ended April 2012! If you look at the SR timeline https://antilop.cc/sr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in April 2012, you'll see, that PoM jailtime ended about that time, when the murder for hire story was starting to evolve.

Easy for him to lie here, but also easy to prove if it was necessary.

AGD
good karma
good karma

Post by AGD »

bentech wrote:does Ulbricht's have any appeal grounds worth mentioning?
I guess Ross already has to beg Putin for reprieve :whistle:

smokebreaks
The Big Cheese
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: High Society Stoner
Has bestowed Karma : 184 times
Received Karma : 338 times

Post by smokebreaks »

AGD wrote:Here PoM talks about his jailtime:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11022&start=315#p144500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The UK bust and my incarceration was over, obviously, by the time I moved to Thailand, just under 3 1/2 years ago. The point was that I was incarcerated at the time the Silk Road website rolled out, not that I was incarcerated at the time it was busted over two years later. :facepalm:
So he says, his jailtime ended April 2012! If you look at the SR timeline https://antilop.cc/sr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in April 2012, you'll see, that PoM jailtime ended about that time, when the murder for hire story was starting to evolve.

You do remember that none of the murder for hire part of this story made it into the courts during the Ulbricht trial right?

Since they never brought it up in Ross’ case, I’d highly doubt that it would play any significance to the PoM trial, should such events occur.
GOVERNMENT WARNING: Marijuana use can cause complex thoughts leading to better ideas of how to live your life. Caution, free thinking has been routinely reported with continued use.

AGD
good karma
good karma

Post by AGD »

smokebreaks wrote:
AGD wrote:Here PoM talks about his jailtime:

You do remember that none of the murder for hire part of this story made it into the courts during the Ulbricht trial right?

Since they never brought it up in Ross’ case, I’d highly doubt that it would play any significance to the PoM trial, should such events occur.
Well, most of the VJ/Cimon chats would have been taken place while PoM was obv. sitting in jail and I highly doubt that PoM could have been able to orchestrate everything behind bars. I am not sure how free inmates in the UK can use the internet, but I doubt all this would occur without observation.

So if PoM was in jail at that time, there was obv. another person using the VJ moniker. (Edit 4: Or he was working with LE. Maybe he saw the SilkRoad thing in the tv room in jail and thought, that he could be the key to bust the SR admin)

If PoM says 'I can't be Variety Jones, because I was in jail at that very time' and he can prove that without a doubt, what else could be done than to send him back to Canada as a free man?

Edit: Ross U. has been proven to be DPR without a doubt. They found everything on his unencrypted laptop incl. the chatlogs and he was caught logged in as DPR.
The case with Thomas is completely different unless they have more evidence, than what we already know. Now a jailtime when the crime has been commited is the strongest evidence for PoMs innocence, so far.

Edit 2: If I assume the shortest jailtime (5 month) he was jailed in Nov 2011. At that time VJ was already a SR staff and mentor and he continued chatting with DPR just like nothing happened until the bust.

Edit 3: Combining a log entry from Ross with the timeline shows, that VJ had been influencing Ross from about Aug. 2011 and that DPR introduced his "two brilliant IT proffessionals" on Sept. 2011.
On 29/12/2011 Ross had been chatting with VJ:
"29/12/2011 - chatted with VJ again today. Him coming onto the scene has re inspired me and given me direction on the SR project. "

Hard to believe that you could do this in jail and PoM might be able to use a ruby phone, but admistrating unix servers from jail without beeing noticed for month is rather fictionous.

smokebreaks
The Big Cheese
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: High Society Stoner
Has bestowed Karma : 184 times
Received Karma : 338 times

Post by smokebreaks »

Well I’m of a different belief set here.

I see him being deported out of the UK and his moving to Thailand after his jail sentence was completed a few months after the SR site started. Elsewhere on the site here someone had posted it had started back in Feb, and Hacks suggested that Ross and VJ started talking a few months later.

I dunno what the timeline is, or does have anything to do with anything.

When Silk Road got started and when it got popped, after which, remember Snowden defected telling the world that the USA was spying on everyone and everything, I was busy dealing with a lot of what life throws at you...

There’s a whole lot more back and forth that we will never get to the bottom of so let’s let the courts do their things, then we can piece together what really happens.

Again, suppositions aren’t admissible, facts they are, and the warrant the judge signed off indicates that Mongoose had an involvement in the charges he faces.

No where in that indictment that Oldjoints posted a link — I’m lazy to go look for it on my phone — does it say that he’s facing accusations at trial for, murder for hire, that never occurred.

If you know what you’re looking for you can easily piece together a timeline that shows Mongoose in jail, Mongoose out of jail.

And believe me, there are fucking prisoners that are running live videoshows in groups on Facebook. Streaming their shit live to the world out of confines of the US prison system from behind the bars of the grey bar motel.

I’ve got a couple of associates who can’t seem to keep themselves out of jail. County, State, Federal, they run the gamut. You could not believe the stories they share about how shit gets run in the land of the free, with the highest concentration of incarcerated in the world, it is absolutely mind boggling. But then you see prisoners doing FB live shows at Christmas and they’re walking in and out of their cells pretty much at will.
GOVERNMENT WARNING: Marijuana use can cause complex thoughts leading to better ideas of how to live your life. Caution, free thinking has been routinely reported with continued use.

DD Ramone
good karma
good karma
Has bestowed Karma : 2 times
Received Karma : 2 times

Post by DD Ramone »

Prisons are awash with mobile phones, allowing inmates to continue a life of crime unhindered by locked doors and barbed wire. Why is technology not being used to stop them?

Thousands of mobile phones are confiscated in UK prisons every year and many more - smuggled in or thrown over the wall - go undetected.

They are a valuable illegal resource - costing between £400 and £1,000 just to borrow.

The government's National Offender Management Service (NOMS) seized 7,451 mobile phones and Sim cards in prisons in England and Wales in 2013.

Using them, inmates had "commissioned murder, planned escapes, imported automatic firearms and arranged drug imports", NOMS said.

"The problem is widespread."

Machine-guns were smuggled into the UK by a prisoner organising the crime by phone from his cell.

Judge David Farrell QC called the "wholly inadequate" prison security that had allowed the crime a "scandal".

Inmates have run a cocaine ring, arranged the murder of a teenager as part of a feud and organised the killing of a gang leader - all from their prison cells.

The mother of an inmate in HMP Northumberland claims "the place is full of mobile phones".

"You've got people throwing mobile phones over the fences and then there are prisoners who have access to the grounds so they're bringing them in," she says.

Glyn Travis from the Prison Officers' Association (POA) says the jail is far from unique.

"Drugs and mobile phones are freely thrown into prisons" with delivery by drone "completely undermining the external security that protects the public", he says.

Sodexo, which runs HMP Northumberland, said "staff worked hard to stop illicit items getting into the prison using a range of technical and intelligence measures".

But the fact that so many phones make their way into prisons despite security precautions goes some way to explaining how hard it is to find and remove them.

The obvious solution, says the POA, is to make them unusable.

Mobile phone jammers or grabbers - which block signals or divert them away from their intended destination - are readily available.

But NOMS says the expense is "disproportionate", at up to £300m to fit and £800,000 a year to maintain.

However, technology installers, such as US company Cell Antenna's Howard Melamed, have been downplaying the cost of the technology for years.

Steve Rogers, the managing director of electronic counter measures company Digital RF, says the UK's wide variety of prisons - large, small, new-build, Victorian, open, high security - makes pricing "very difficult".

"How do you value this, that's the question, isn't it?" Mr Rogers says.

"When you work out that value then you can say whether it's affordable or not."

The 2010 Crime and Security Act made possessing a mobile phone in jail punishable by up to two years' imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine.

But inmates do not worry about punishment for crimes committed inside, Mr Travis says.

"I don't know why they should fear the fact that, if they get prosecuted - and I use the word if they get prosecuted - by the CPS and the police, and then they go to the courts and they may get a 12-month concurrent sentence."

Prisoners in HMP Northumberland know they are not allowed mobiles, but "lots of them" have them nonetheless, the inmate's mother says.

Last year the government awarded a £60,000 contract to explore the use of mobile phones in prisons - how to stop them getting in, find those that do and disrupt those which cannot be located.

The previous year the Scottish Prison Service announced plans to pilot blocking technology at HMPs Shotts and Glenochil.

But NOMS specifically excluded such "prohibitively expensive solutions", despite a change in the law in 2012 permitting their use in prisons.

Then, in 2015, the Serious Crime Act introduced the possibility of regulations giving the government - and ministers in Scotland - the power to force mobile phone operators to disconnect illicit phones and Sim cards.

Notably, the authorities would not need to find the phone to have it cut off.

The regulations are still to be enacted. A Prison Service spokesman said they would be "introduced in due course".

But disconnected Sim cards and phones are soon replaced, Mr Rogers says.

And cutting people off is not in the commercial interests of organisations that make money "making sure people stay on air".

"They only have to get one or two people wrong and they could be in a quite interesting legal situation," he says.

The POA has been lobbying for signal blockers for years, raising it with MPs and each successive government.

"Every year they say 'we can't afford it, we'll do a pilot scheme, we'll do this' and, whenever they try to do it, they say it causes too many problems - absolute rubbish," Mr Travis says.

Mr Rogers favours grabbing technology because prisons can see how many handsets have been disabled and to whom they belong.

Blocking can sometimes leave small spots where a signal might break through and its effect is hard to quantify, he says.

The prisons he works with can only measure success by the number of phones thrown in bins by inmates not wanting to risk punishment for an illicit item that no longer works.

The Prison Service accepts jails are "in need of urgent reform" and it has to "look at new ways of finding and blocking mobile phones as well as as equipping prison officers with the right tools to tackle them".

The UK's very tight spectrum control increases costs, Steve Rogers says
It lists detection equipment, routine searches, CCTV, sniffer dogs and penalties - but is very reticent about its position on blocking technology.

A spokesman refused to say whether the 2012 legislation permitting the use of "signal-denying" technology had ever been used.

He also refused to comment on which publicised pilot schemes had taken place or what conclusions on cost and effectiveness they had come to.

The POA believes blocking or grabbing would not only control prisoners, it would "have significant impact on the general public".

When the "people who've committed some of the most heinous crimes" can organise more crime from inside a prison, "how safe are your children?", Mr Travis asks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-35411297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DD Ramone, picks his bass to the bone, he's a BLITZKRIEG BOPPER !